1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Everyone outside my car hears the phone conversation going on inside the car.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wwiggins, Apr 29, 2012.

1. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My son said, "I can hear you talking to mom in the car!"
    This was unusual because the volume is about 28 and the windows are rolled up. I thought he was joking so I told him to move away from the car about 20-25 yards while we continued our conversation. I called him back to the car and asked him what he heard us say. I was alarmed at the accuracy.

Seems everyone in a moderate proximity can hear my phone conversations. What could cause this?

Anyone else have issues with this?

Wade

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think I've had my radio volume higher than 10, so at 28 I would definitely think a lot of people could hear you! (unless your phone volume is different than the radio volume)

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Old age. :D

I can typically hear my parents' phone conversations too, even when they're holding the phone to their ear.

All age-related hearing loss aside, though, the human ear is capable of a great deal of dynamic range. If your car is parked in a relatively quiet area and the engine isn't running, it's likely to be very easy to hear what's inside the car if it's loud. If you turn down the volume a bit, you'll probably naturally speak more quietly as well, and it may not be as audible outside the car.

However, turning the volume down may make it harder to hear when you're driving and surrounded by other traffic noise - but that will also make it harder to hear you outside the car, at least until you're at a stoplight and everybody is listening to your conversation.

4. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unless you are talking pretty loudly, other people should only be able to hear the person you are talking to since that should be the only sound coming through the speaker. With the volume at 28, folks might also be able to hear your music. That's why I play mine at level 50 ---- just to make sure they can really hear it.:D

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The radio volume and the bluetooth volumes are two different things.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You can turn the phone volume down if you want a more private conversation, although I suppose it will never be as private as having the phone to your ear. The radio sound is disabled when talking on the phone and the volume controls for each are independent of each other. As I recall, you have the opportunity to adjust hands free phone volume immediately after receiving a call.