1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Everyone wants to buy a hybrid now.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by burritos, May 23, 2008.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When i was getting gas last week, this guy behind me asked about my car and how it is and if i wanted to trade him for his Chevy Tahoe. haha...

On the other hand, someone asked me how much i would be whilling to sell my car for. I told them $30,000 and its theirs. haha scary thing is, they contemplated it....drivin their Hummer H2...this was the first time for me that a Hummer H2 owner fessed up to their mistake

3. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Betcha bicycles are going like hotcakes too.

~buttster

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder how much I could get for my package 1 2006 with stickers I haven't even put on yet.

This picture narrative is hilarious. "pitch in and use less gas". Ummm would you feel this way if gas were a dollar a gallon? Methinks not.

5. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i would imagine motorcycle sales would be up also

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A cousin of mine drives a motorcycle. It burns more gas than my Prius.

The funny thing is that a Prius bought today is likely to have a lot of miles left in it when its owner cannot afford to fill even it up any more. People are turning to Priuses when they really need to be looking at electric.

7. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I sure would hate to take off on my 3000 mile summer vacation without some kind if ICE to fall back on. To say nothing of dragging that cord the whole trip. ;)

Bob

8. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about Hydrogen?

9. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I totalled my beater just last friday and was shopping for a car once again.. went to the same dealer wanted another Prius and the salesman told me theres a 18-month(!) waiting period and they're only selling it at MSRP. we bought ours in february and there were like 15 of them in the dealer lot... then we went to a honda dealer and asked for a Civic hybrid. much shorter waiting time and much better APR (1.9% for 36 months). only 1 month wait... so we ended up putting down a deposit for one and the price we agreed is lower than MSRP... cant believe that much difference was made in 3 months...

10. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $4 PER GALLON TOO HIGH? TRY $12-15 PER GALLON

If you think $4 a gallon gas is too much to pay, brace yourself. A couple of expert sources say $12-15 per gallon is more than just possible.

"The prices that we're paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be 'the good old days,' because others who watch this very closely forecast that we're going to be hitting $12 and $15 a gallon, and then, after that, when world oil production goes into decline, we're going to talk about rationing," Robert Hirsch, Management Information Services Senior Energy Advisor, said on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "In other words, not only are we going to be paying high prices and have considerable economic problems, but in addition to that, we're not going to be able to get the fuel when we want it."

Hirsch argued that the maximum in world oil production has already been hit. "The idea is that [world oil production] would hit a sharp peak and then drop off, and what's happened is, we've hit a plateau in world oil production, and that plateau has been ongoing since about the middle of 2004," he said. Those who argue that new technology and new types of energy will solve the problem aren't on solid ground, Hirsch suggested. "There's no single thing that's going to solve this problem, because it's as massive as one can possibly imagine.,"

Hirsch later told the Business & Media Institute that the $12-$15 a gallon wasn’t his prediction, but that he was citing Charles T. Maxwell, described as the “Dean of Oil Analysts†and the senior energy analyst at Weeden & Company, says Jeff Poor of BMI. "Still, Hirsch admitted the high price was inevitable in his view," reports Poor.

“I don’t attempt to predict oil prices because it’s been impossible in the past,†Hirsch said to Poor in an e-mail. “We’re into a new era now, and over the next roughly five years the trend will be up significantly. However, there may be dips and bumps that no one can forecast; I wouldn’t be at all surprised. To me the multi-year upswing is inevitable.â€

LA Car.com - The Cars and Culture of Southern California Magazine & Directory - BACK SEAT DRIVING - MAY 2008

11. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't understand the mentality of some people. They pay $30K for a car, and then want to sell it because it doesn't get good gas mileage. If you can afford to pay $30K for a car, you can afford to pay $250 a month for gas.
    As for older cars, you have to ask yourself if you want to pay $20K or more just to improve your gas mileage. The sensible thing is to get a better mileage car when you are ready for another car.

12. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

13. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $12-15 over the next 5-10 years wouldn't be surprising at all. I was talking about $6 in the near future(ie within the next year). That will be surprising to many.

Even though we are at peak oil, I think a lot of the price upswing is due to the weakening of the dollar. The Fed has been printing so much money over the last decade it's finally catching up to us. Many people are getting rich but the majority of Americans aren't making the money to track with inflation. So there will be a flattening out at $12-15 within the decade cause people won't consume as much of it. Many growing pains ahead. We're in denial right now.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

16. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

17. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I checked and motorcycles that can handle real roads don't match the mpg of the Prius.

Some scooters and mopeds beat it but they only go 30 mph.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Enjoy it while you can, because pretty soon nobody but Bill Gates and his pals will be able to afford to drive 3,000 miles in a gasoline car.

Where do you propose we get the energy to make the hydrogen? If we had large-scale alternative energy, and a nation-wide hydrogen distribution network, and if people could afford $100,000 per car (assuming massive economy of scale with mass production brings the price down from the present ten million dollars per car) then hydrogen could be a possibility.

Hydrogen is a boondoggle, proposed by GM to distract people from real alternatives.

Bottom line: Energy is getting expensive. It takes energy to run a car. We've been living the high life on cheap energy, but those times are coming to an end. Either we begin the switch to alternative energy, or we're in for some very nasty times. The day of the private car being driven across the country is drawing to an end.

When are people going to realize that hydrogen is a carrier, not a source, of energy??? The problem is not in the carrier. The problem is in the source. Energy is getting expensive, and switching carriers from hydrocarbons to H2 solves NOTHING!!!

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Stick hydrogen wells on the surface of the sun. Lot's of hydrogen there.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    what about it.

Cars: Over $1,000,000

Infrastructure: None, and no one wants to build it, being a money looser.

source: Usually stripped from natural gas. Can also be made from electricity, which is either made from natural gas or coal, mostly.

range: hydrogen at the max, will get you less than 270 miles, if you have a really huge tank

efficiency: The electricity obtained from hydrogen would take you only one fourth the amount if the same energy used to make the hydrogen, had just been use as is. think about it, you have coal or natural gas, and burn that for steam powered generaters to make electricity, then you take the electricity and convert it into hydrogen, then convert that back into hydrogen. It's a looser.