1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

everything resets and/or won't lock or unlock and/or start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mamaj, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mamaj

mamaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :confused: just bought 2005 prius hatchback with smart key function. i am consistently having issues with car locking and/or unlocking. also, car won't start. in addition, everyday, the clock and odometor reset over and over again on their own. i have to have this fixed because i am using the car in my business which requires my keeping records throughout the day on time & mileage. i need help in knowing what to do.....thanks for any responses and suggestions.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like your 12v battery is becoming disconnected. Do you have any kind of battery minder connected?

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 12V battery is probably worn out. It is only used to start up the computers and operate electronics such as the key system and odometer while the car is stopped. As long as there is enough power to get things started, everything works normally once the car is running. But while it's off, a weak 12V battery causes all sorts of weird electronic problems.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That does have the classic symptoms of a failing 12 vdc auxiliary battery, especially given the age

There are a few threads here on 12 vdc battery replacement, either the dealership one (No readily available aftermarket battery), or a conversion kit from elearnaid that uses a Mazda Miata Optima battery

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A