1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evolution of PriusChat or New Phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Starfall, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the things I have noticed over the months I'be been reading PriusChat is that it seems like newbies tend to congratulate those who have placed an order or just received their cars in a greater number than the long-time regulars. Their enthusiasm for others' joy seems to be directly related to their own anticipatory glee or unbridled happiness with their new car.

Regulars tend to jump into alternative topics in FHOP with the self-same enjoyment. And they can always be found answering the technical questions as well - thankfully for all of us! In fact, the lag time for an answer to most queries is rarely more than an hour, if that.

Much like one poster who wondered a short while ago about why Prius drivers didn't acknowledge them on the road by waving, etc., I was wondering if, once upon a time, on this forum things used to be different.

Can someone who's been on PriusChat from the early times comment on its evolution?

EDIT: Ooops! I think maybe this should have been posted in a different forum like FHOP- that's a newbie for you... :(

2. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like most of the PriusChat frontiersmen spent their time figuring out how the drivetrain works, with some esoteric efforts continuing today. I remember running across heated debates about whether or not MG2 could actually act as a generator, with the proponents called heretics.

Hopefully, some of the old timers will speak up before they "pass on" and the first hand knowledge is lost forever. :(

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PC wasn't as diversed back then. I remember when I first joined in. The regulars were all enthusiasts that share a common interest - to spread knowledge about the Prius and how to get the best mileage. In short, it was an enthusiast site.

Now I see PC as a place where anything can be asked and answered fairly soon. We have a ton of new members from all types of backgrounds and they all bring in new ideas that us old timers tend to overlook. Some of the things include a wider array of modifications. They now include springs, shocks, wheels, spoiler, speakers, audio inputs, PC/Mac etc.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the time PriusChat was finally established, I was already into year #4 of Prius ownership and very heavy into the online contributions. Now I'm about to start year #7. So I've seen and done it all... several times over.

Do you really expect the veterans to take away the "congrats" opportunities to from those that just shook off the label of newbie?

How many times can the same old "congrats" be provided from the same old Prius owner before it no longer sounds sincere?

Can you point out any other still-in-production vehicle model that has been able to hold interest as strong as we've witnessed with Prius?

Prius is quite unique. So don't expect a pattern or cycle. We are formulating plans along the way, responding to the bizarre circumstances of the ever-changing automotive market. We are boldly going...

By the way, in less than 100 miles, I will be exceeding the magic distance I traveled with my Classic Prius before trading it in for my HSD model: 59,827 miles. So despite my very senior status, I'm still doing stuff for the very first time.

6. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we lost Bill to a pretzel or something.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yeah, somebody better go check on Bill............... :lol: :lol:

8. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 27 2006, 04:37 AM) [snapback]310058[/snapback]</div>
    Good points. And, BTW, my question wasn't a criticism, merely an observation.

Having been a Usenet participant since before most people even knew there was an Internet, I followed the Free Agent/Agent newsgroup since its inception. I noticed how *it* evolved over time as more & more people discovered the program & had questions/comments about it. The subtle change in the group over time was fascinating & I guess I was merely wondering about the same changes here.

I'm exceptionally grateful for the wealth of information on this site. Indeed, I downloaded & read your .pdf Prius Users Guide before purchasing my car, John, so I'd be as knowledgeable as possible. So special thanks to you for updating it, incorporating various peoples' suggestions.

Meanwhile, M. Oiseau, do you know CPR? I mean, if Bill is an old salt, it could have been a pretzel. <_<

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think like any community, people find their own niche once they've gotten past the total-newbie status. the real new ones are still excited about their new car (or pending new car) and us older folks are far beyond the basics of learning the basics and getting optimal mpg... we're more into other things like the inner workings of things or tweaking things or very in-depth operating info. or in my husband's case, making broken prii work right again.

then there are the prius owners who almost exclusively like to hang out in FHOP and argue politics, etc.

there are all kinds around here.

10. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 27 2006, 05:37 AM) [snapback]310058[/snapback]</div>
    Diesel cars. Check out tdiclub.com those guys are pretty hardcore.

11. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to disappoint some...

I still like congratulating new owners. I still think my Silver Cloud is the smartest and best car I've ever owned. I remember the excitement and glee of discovery when I first got it, so I like to congratulate people making some of the same discoveries.

I have noticed a shift in Prius purchaser demographics. The early adopters were/are really interested in how the car works, and trying to improve it (and their fuel efficiency). Now that the Prius is more mainstream, it's being seen more as just a car by many owners, not an engineering marvel. I think the bulk of Prius purchasers who aren't on PriusChat are perhaps more interested in HOV-lane riding and maybe spending less on gasoline, not the low emissions that let them travel in the HOV lane or the PSD that can switch between ICE, electric motor, and generation seamlessly.

I organize the Portland Area Prius Meetup group. We have about 40 members, who, like PriusChatters, are interested in their cars. I talk to many Prius owners to tell them about the group, many, perhaps most, could care less. It's just a car.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the OP's assesment is fairly accurate. I just can't get that excited at the 10,000th "I just ordered" my car or the 8,000th "I just got my car and love it" post.

I am, sincerely, glad for those folks, but I spend WAY too much time on this forum already and just can't justify even more time for such trivial things.

The FHOP stuff, OTOH, is a nice break from the "Why am I only getting 42mpg" posts..I still reply to many of those...mostly with the link to the article I wrote 2 years ago specifically to avoid those questions...but they do get pretty mundane.

I think you'll notice a lot of enthusiasm from us 'vets' to the more esoteric and technical questions, out enthusiasm in general hasn't really waned, but our ability to maintain the enthusiasm for some of the 'novelty' questions is a bit hard to sustain after 3 (or 7 like John) years or more.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't chase down the "what's wrong?" and the "how do I...?" posts any more. It's not that I don't care; it's that with all the thousands of other members, someone else will certainly answer the questions. I have come to realize that any more, I - and the other "seniors" - don't have to be as quick to jump in. In a way, I feel as though it's sort of like passing the torch.

Two and a half years ago, when I joined, I read with a sense of awe from all the knowledge they had to bestow upon wee little me. When I had a question, they answered. Then again, they had to; there were only a few of them. After a while, I fell into the fold and eventually could hold a conversation with the experts and answer questions of the newbies.

14. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 27 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]310247[/snapback]</div>
    As a Prius owner of only two weeks & a lurker/newbie on PC for two months, like you, I still feel the very same joy that others experience. Sharing their joy makes me recall that first rush of nervous, nail-biting excitement I felt when I got THE CALL from my dealer.

You're no doubt right. Many people purchasing a Prius today have one eye on the pump prices & the other on things like tax credits & HOV stickers. And in a way, that prompted my question - wouldn't the mass influx of these later adopters somehow change the balance or ambience here on PC? And, if so, what was it like when it first began? I'm enormously curious about how this site has changed, evolved over the years.

I had the incredible pleasure of attending the Chicagoland Prius meeting when Danny picked up his car. It was so much fun to ask questions of people who are REALLY interested in their cars. No one can talk your ear off because you so much want to listen!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 27 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]310272[/snapback]</div>
    Understandable. Thank God you're still fascinated by the esoteric! Anyway, as I said, it wasn't a criticism - just an observation. Right now I'm so hyped, so happy, that I anticipate it will take a very long time to lose this fantastic blush of early-owner enthusiasm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 27 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]310320[/snapback]</div>
    Really nice way to look at it.

Maybe some day after school begins & I have more time I'll hang out in other forums as well. :)

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiBreedinVA @ Aug 27 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]310233[/snapback]</div>
    That's a really good comparison example to this forum. Here, we embrace the SULEV and PZEV emission ratings. Their reaction borders on hostile. Increased cost and decreased efficiency for the sake of being cleaner is not an topic they like to address.

Prius delivers both great emissions & efficiency. Sweet!

16. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Aug 27 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]310327[/snapback]</div>
    My point, which I clearly didn't make, is that there won't be a mass influx. Active PriusChat members are self-selecting. Of the thousands of members who joined PriusChat, look how many you see posting again and again. It's easier to see them than the thousands who posted 0-few times. Who knows the number of Guest visits who never joined...

There are always a few trolls around trying to goad us, but they generally evaporate after a few weeks or months. On the other hand, there are also the few enthusiastic new owners who come here, learn as much as they need to, and disappear because they have a life outside PriusChat that consumes them more. Even a few of the moderators have sort of drifted away as their Prius became their daily driver and their interest in the Prius and PriusChat waned.

No living community is static, it will and must change. Unlike "real-world" communities, we are not bounded by space, just Danny's willingness to suffer us and keep the board running.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that a PC'er evolves, and each has their limit of what they want or need to know. A few want to share the glee of a new purchase. I still answer them when I can, but I would prefer to answer a question if I can. I also spend less time here than when I was a newbie and learning. I am now "just" in my second year of ownership. Still learning because the Prius is still a bit of a Puzzle. For me driving for mpg is fun, a way to concentrate, and also release tension on the way to and from work. So in the end each of us evolves. I learn here all the time and I hope I pass a little on. BTW if you have a new Prius "Congratulations" join in and do not be intimidated. Even John 1701a was a newbie, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 27 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]310362[/snapback]</div>
    Well... not really. By amazing cosmic coincidence the guy that placed an order right before me at the same dealer and had his Prius delivered the same day as mine just happened to be the very first person in the country to own two different hybrids, a Prius and an Insight! And when I placed my order, it was by saying "I want one of these" and holding up the Prius miniature I had (mailed from a friend overseas). So I was already part of the new age before the online presense was really established. My website was basically the very first owner website in the country. And I even contributed to the original use of the term "stealth" for Prius.

So... I think that means I've a bit envious of new owners. There was no preexisting excitement to leverage from with my order. I had to help create that. It must be incredible for a newbie now to research the history the veterans participated in. What a thrill to join.

That's ok. Being one of the founders must have some kind of a perk I can somehow utilize.

19. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 27 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]310331[/snapback]</div>
    I was going to buy a TDI before stoping at the toyota dealership. I test drove the tdi the day before and it had some leak that was a deal breaker. I stood behing the exhaust pipe for some time while i was looking at the trunk, the car was running, then after I left my leg was all itchy i think it was all the carcinogens that were being emitted. Diesles while they might be more efficent are kinda dirty and i didnt like that. hehe I might give em a try once they start making diesel electric hybrids

20. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Aug 26 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]309792[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't Prius driover acknowledge one another on the road? I had one guy roll down his window at a stop and ask me how I lived my Prius, we both still had dealer tags on our new Prius'. Other than that, not one other Prius driver has ever taken a glance in ny direction. Are they all looking at their MFDs or something?