1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVSE and GFCI

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rebound, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm installing an outdoor outlet to use with my charger. My friend told me that the EVSE has its own GFCI (which I believe is true), and the current surge on plug-in was tripping his GFCI outlet, so he replaced it with non-GFCI. But since my outlet will be outdoors, that will be a code violation, unless perhaps I cut off the EVSE plug and hard-wire it to AC power inside a junction box.

Any thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're right about code. some gfci's are more sensitive than others. you might have to try another or a different brand. i havn't read about many tripping problems here.

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a sprinkler timer on its own circuit in the garage. I replaced it with a 2-recepticle GFCI outlet (Leviton branded one from Lowes) and I've had no issues with the GFCI while charging.

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two types of GF plugs.. gfci and gfpe. The GFCI's designed for bathrooms/kitchens are rated for low amps (5 maybe 10 ma threshold) and very sensitive and those designed for outdoor use/garages are rated at 20 or 30mamps and much less sensitive. One is mostly protecting the house/equipment, the other a human life. You should check the code in your area to see if gfpe is allowed out outdoor sockets or the garage.

If you hit a hardware store, make sure you are buying the right type.. both are often called gfci (and they can look identical though the gfpe will have a higher mamp trip current).

2 people like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard of a gfpe, but a 20A gfci was around $20. i think.

6. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somewhere else I remember reading that some 15A GFCI plugs will trip at lower trip currents. The PIP EVSE is drawing 12A from what I recall so you are close to the circuit limit in some cases.

7. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not the amps of the circuit that determine a gfpe, but the level of ground current detected.. You can have a 20A 5MA GFCI for your kitchen (often needed for big microwaves/freezers). In most localities the GFCI for a kitchen or bathroom must trip at 5milli-amps of residual current on the grounded side (i.e. short) and switch in a few miliseconds.

a GFPE is also called a 30MA GFCI, a low-sensitivity GFCI, a garage or outdoor or equipment GFCI can handle up to 30mill-amps of current on the grounded side. Its much slower to "pop" and hence useful in garages and outdoors where water or other items can cause higher residual currents.

Learn more about them here:
    Residual-current device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 people like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have to talk to the electrical inspector and see if they are allowed here.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    charged my pip twice today, no problem with the $3. home depot gfci.