1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVSE Charging cord blinks 5 times - Is there a resource to say what the fault is?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by EVDE, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EVDE

EVDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2012 Plug-in. Recently, the light won't come on next to the charging port when I plug in the cord. The cord's power light comes on for a few seconds, then turns off. Next it blinks 5 times, then powers down completely. I am guessing the 5 blinks is an indicator of something. Does anyone know if the meaning of the 5 blinks? I have seen threads where owners have gotten 3 blinks, but not 5. I am guessing that somewhere there is a datasheet or similar that tells the meaning of the blink code, but my google-fu is weak.

Does anyone know where the blink codes are described, or have suggestions for tracking it down? Taking it to the dealer is a non-preferred alternative. It is a long trip and just likely to end with them trying to sell me a new OEM cord at crazy prices. I can replace the cord, but I am particularly curious whether there is an under-voltage situation happening.

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine was blinking 5 times a couple years ago, and they replaced it under warranty. Before the blinking started, i was getting an intermittent charging connection that seemed to be related to the cord exiting the control block on the car side. I'd wiggle it and the charge would start. Someone also said they thought there was an "end of life" timer/counter in the control block.