1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ex-narcotics cop sells DVDs on how to stash pot and beat the law

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Jun 20, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007
    BIG SANDY — Barry Cooper sells a DVD on how to stash pot in your car without getting caught. This fall, he will release a second one on how to keep police from raiding your home for marijuana.
    Now for the kicker: Cooper is a former narcotics officer once considered among the top cops in Texas, where more marijuana is seized each year than in any other state.
    The formerly strait-laced lawman has become a shaggy-haired militant for the legalization of weed.
    Six months ago, he released "Never Get Busted Again," in which the former star of West Texas' Permian Basin Drug Task Force gives tips on hiding marijuana (dashboards are rife with nooks and crannies) and throwing off drug-sniffing dogs (coat your tires in fox urine).
    "I'm not helping them to break the law. It's clear the law is already being broken," said Cooper, 38, who left law enforcement a decade ago. "I will do anything legal to frustrate law enforcement's efforts to place American citizens in jail for nonviolent drug offenses."
    Law officers regard Cooper as a traitor. And some pro-pot activists say Cooper's antics actually undermine their cause.
    "This is like waving red meat" in front of police, said Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. "They take great professional umbrage with this. They are not our opposition, and we don't want to agitate them."
    Federal drug agents said his tips won't keep them from finding your stash, and they advise drug users to save their $20 and use it to help post bail.
    Richard Sanders, an agent with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Tyler, brushes off Cooper's DVD as a sham.
    "He's just out to make money," Sanders said.
    Though he will not reveal how much he has made, Cooper said he has sold more than 10,000 copies of "Never Get Busted," primarily over the Internet and at a few smoke shops..
    Cooper has begun filming the second DVD, called "Never Get Raided."
    Frederick Moss, a law professor at Southern Methodist University, said Cooper appears to be protected by the First Amendment and probably cannot be charged with conspiracy or aiding and abetting because he has no direct relationship with the customers he counsels in how to break the law.
    Cooper claims that as a law officer, he took part in 800 drug busts, seized more than more than 50 vehicles and $500,000 in cash and assets, and made a case against a local politician's son.
    "He was among the best we had," said Tom Finley, who was Cooper's supervisor on the drug task force. "I don't understand why he would turn like this."
    Cooper has owned car dealerships, started a limousine service, dabbled as a cage-fighting promoter and taught in a church. He lives in a pine-canopied hideaway in Big Sandy, an East Texas town of 1,400, where his home includes a framed picture in the kitchen of Cooper holding a joint.
    It is the same town where Cooper was last a police officer in 1998, when he said his frustration with small-town politics made him quit law enforcement and begin rethinking the war on drugs.
    "My critics want to kill my credibility by claiming I'm doing this to make money and trying to keep any sincerity out of this," he said. "The people who have seen me and know my work, they know I'm sincere."

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Booyah... fight the power! Legalize it!

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe he realized that pot doesn't cause tens of thousands of DUI accidents like alcohol does...?

...that it's not worthy of so much legal attention...?

...that it ought to be legalized...?

Unless he specifically signed a document which prevents him from doing what he's doing, I don't see the problem. He's following his beliefs...which shows more courage than lots of folks exhibit.

Would this be okay if the DVD's were about how to speed and not get caught? Does it have more to to with what he's doing...the principle of it...or is the problem that marijuana is involved?

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 20 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]465504[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Legalize it. Hell give Philip Morris 100% rights to its production. That should streamline and grease the washington lobbying machinery to make it available to every 18 year old in the country.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 20 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]465504[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Legalize it. Hell give Philip Morris 100% rights to its production. That should streamline and grease the washington lobbying machinery to make it available to every 18 year old in the country.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Several possibilities. People can change. Maybe he changed his mind about whether or not pot is harmful. Or maybe none of the suggestions on the DVD will work. The cops will see the DVD also. "Hide your pot behind the clock." "Hey, Joe, lookee here: This hippie hid his pot behind the clock just like that DVD said. Okay, boy, you're under arrest." Maybe fox urine doesn't fool the dogs. Maybe the dogs were having a hard time sniffing pot sealed in plastic bangs, but if the drug users put fox urine on their tires the dogs can sniff for that, and the cops will know which cars to search more thoroughly.

Maybe the cop just got sick of the hypocrisy of a society where people with money get mind-altering drugs by prescription while poor people go to jail for using drugs that are no more harmful, and in some cases, much less harmful.

Or maybe he just decided he could make a buck.

7. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

Why??? WHY????

BECAUSE HE IS MAKING MONEY!!!!!

That's why.

Selling DVD's to Millions of Stoners = PROFIT

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I say, legalize it, tax it. I have been a member of NORML for years. And I don't smoke it. I just think it's stupid to fight a war that can not be won; and why should the criminal element win?

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's not alone.
    There are many former and current law enforcement men and women who don't agree with prohibition.
    There's even an organization called LEAP (Law enforcement Against Prohibition).
    And they are NOT pro-pot or out to make money. They have seen the futility of it all and have seen that pot is so much less harmful than the other drugs out there and even of alcohol. They want law enforcement to focus on meth, which is the real danger to our youth. Prohibition of pot is no difference than prohibition of alcohol. They are total wastes of the countries resources. They draw LE, judicial, and legislative effort away from more important LE work, they waste billions of dollars when taxation and regulation could rake IN billions as well as make the products more safe, properly taxed. Take the profit away from the criminals and put it into common taxpaying citizens and businesses. Without pot, drug dealers will have a MUCH harder time getting kids hooked on other drugs. Pot is more available to teenagers than alcohol BECAUSE of prohibition, not in spite of it, because of who controlls the distribution. Sell it in liquor stores, where we already have a good infractructure for preventing sales to minors. It takes away the profit from criminals.

It's also down right criminal to arrest cancer patients for using pot to quell nausea. My brother fought cancer for 6 years, and during the chemotherapy process, it was a godsend.
    At the VERY least, this BS about "no medical value" has GOT to stop.

10. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jun 21 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]465623[/snapback]</div>
    It will never be legalized because there are too many jobs, departments, and gov funding depending upon it being illegal. Many drugs were legal until prohibition was ended and the gov agency that was responsible for controlling alcohol suddenly had no purpose for existing. It was at that point in the 30's when they decided these drugs need to be controlled by the government. Imagine that. <_<

I do not encourage drug use for a variety of reasons, but there are a lot of people who's living depends on keeping it illegal.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Putting people in prison has become an industry in the U.S., with a very powerful lobby pressing for more laws and stiffer punishments for more crimes, whether or not those "crimes" have victims. There are lobbyists in D.C. and in state capitols working for the prison industry, urging lawmakers to put more people in prison and keep them there longer. It does not matter that pot is less harmful than caffeine. What matters is that it's a way to feed the profits of the prison industry at taxpayers' expense.

And, no, I do not smoke pot. I also don't drink alcohol or smoke tobacco. I do drink coffee, in very small amounts, and I'd probably be better off if it was illegal.

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 21 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]465679[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe it, but back in the 70's I was actually "hooked", "addicted" to COFFEE !! Worked in a factory (heat treat inspector) during the day <yawn>, went to Engineering school at night <yawn> :lol:
    Cola products, like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, not to mention Mountain Dew, are very, very addicting to caffeine contained within them, too. This was my next phase, after coffee....

.... and I wonder why NOW I have heart trouble....

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i always find it amusing how people that agree with legalization are accused so frequently of being a pothead that they learn to immediately state that they don't smoke pot.

i was actually thinking about posting a topic for discussion the other day about a 2006 ruling by the fda that there is no medical value in marijuana despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. maybe i will. seems we might get some constructive conversation out of it before people come in cracking the jokes.

for the record, i see immense value in marijuana/compounds derived from cannabinoids/the endocannabinoid system for therapeutic uses.

14. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say pot is less harmful than caffeine. Less addictive than caffeine, yes. Caffeine is a suprisingly addictive substance, all "uppers" are. But the pharmacology of caffeine is pretty mild, though the withdrawal headaches do SUCK! Long term coffee use is only a risk for those with heart or weight problems.
    It is pretty clear that pot is less harmful than alcohol, though. Socially, one decreases inhibition and increases agressiveness (including behind the wheel, as well as the typical bar fights, abusive spouse problems, etc), while the other increases inhibition and reduces aggressiveness (but leads to twinkies and paranoia instead). Long term pot use can lead to anxiety problems and possibly memory issues (debatable). Long term alcohol use leads to cirrosis of liver, definate memory problems, stomach and digestive problems, and many other problems.

Moderation in everything is the key to life!

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 21 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]465694[/snapback]</div>
    Very true. I studied behavioral neuropyschology, and there is un unmined wealth of health benefits. Unfortunately for the pharma companies, they can't seem to get those compounds in a marketable form that works better than smoked or vaporized (Despite ongoing efforts). Which BTW, is why the pharma industry is the BIGGEST supporter of prohibition. They view it as a competitor to their business model. A plant you can grow yourself that alleviates a myriad of problems? EGAD! We can't have that!
    Look at marinol. What a joke that is! It's a nice attempt, but what good is a pill to someone who can't stop heaving due to chemotherapy? Besides, you can't properly titrate the dose in pill form, as it takes up to 30 minutes to take affect. Glaucoma, arthritis, MS, IBS, flu, AIDS wasting, chemotherapy side effects, etc. It could be the new aspirin, if it were not culturally tied to all those dirty hippies!

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 21 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]465708[/snapback]</div>
    the fact that marinol made it through the approval process seems promising to me, though yeah it's not the optimal delivery route for that particular drug. somehow, IP injection seems less patient-friendly though... (that's how our rats get it) and you still have to wait the 30 minutes before evaluating their behavior.

smoking in general has a pretty negative view in terms of health benefits- people tend to think cigarettes. besides, the co2 and other junk you end up inhaling (benzo-a-pyrenes, anyone?) aren't exactly healthy. there is some research into vaporizing it but i don't really know how well that will work.

the main problem with marijuana is that subpopulations of receptors will downregulate sooner than others- you can see this tolerance develop regionally in the brain as well. unfortunately, the pain relief is about the first thing to go, and as you ramp up the dose to maintain the pain you also ramp up your cognitive impairment. see my other thread, where i bring up a nature neurosci paper that discusses the potential for a non-BBB-crossing cannabinoid in chronic pain. i hope that gets big pharma's attention...

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vaporization is essentially baking it. The desired drug is located in opaque glands on the surface and will vaporize at a lower temperature than what fire produces. So rather than burn the whole flower portion to get the drug effect (as well as burning plant matter you do't want) you bake it at a lower temperature until the outer glands can be sucked off without ever burning the plant itself. It eliminates all of the carcinogens associated with smoking. Medical users in CA often use these small machines to heat it up, and then fill a baggy attached to it with the vaporized "smoke", then they can inhale a little at a time until they reach the ED. This obviously wouldn't halp you with rat studies, as you still can not effectively measure the dosage. I think for rats, a sublingual tincture would be the most effective route, which offers a faster absorption as well as better dose mearuement.

GW Pharma in the UK was developing such a delivery device.