1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

exactly how far do you

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by dolfanpete, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    go before filling up? like is it ok to take it to the last notch? or do you do it at 2? i ask because i filled up for the first time saturday but i was at 4 notches left. i jumped the gun a bit i think

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I try to fill up at 2 notches and that is probably early, but I like to play it safe.

RocMills likes this.
  3. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday I filled up a few km after the last bar chime, 30.6 of a 36 L tank, with 784 km driven.

The trip meter said 3.8 L/100 km so I had calculated 29.8 L used. I guess the internal fuel counter didn't agree completely with the pump. Nonetheless it suggests I had 138 km left before running on fumes. Perhaps if I'm adventurous some time, I'll drive until the trip meter suggests 33 L have been used.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I try to not go below three segments mainly because it is easier on the fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank. The fuel is used as a pump coolant, did you know that?

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  5. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    No I didn't.

6. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't fill the tank anymore. Gas weights a fair amount and I don't really need to carry around extra lb. it's something liken like 6lb per gallon so a full tank is like 60 lb. That's like a dozen bricks or a kid. And how wants to drive with a extra kid in the car.

I put gas in basically as soon as it beeps at me and then put 5 gallons in.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Filling the tank is a pia so I just go for the gusto and pump it full!

Tracy likes this.
  8. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i took it to the last notch, and then it started blinking and then i immediately filled it up. i got 412 miles on that tank. ( i went on a trip across the state on the highway going 60-70 mph)...i dont think that was too great. today i filled up and still had 2 notches left and had gone 417 miles...with two notches left!...so from now on i will take it to the last notch.

9. Revan86

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    High speeds like that will kill your mpgs in any car but Especially in a hatch back. Even this one lol

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just fill it up when you feel like it. I fill up about every other week or so. Usually around half a tank or a little lower.

I don't feel a need to see how many miles I can get with a tank. I try really hard to keep drama at bay. After the teenage daughter and all her friends, my quota for drama has been filled.

brucepmiller and Tracy like this.
  11. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    LOL!

I tend to fill it on about the 3rd pip although in winter as a matter of policy, I usually keep at least a half tank in the car and fill it whenever we have a big storm on the horizon (not that often in Seattle). I don't have a fireplace and I've been through some extended power outtages so the car is sort of a back-up if I need to plug the phone in for a call or need a break from shivering (fortunately, I have neighbors with fireplaces ;-) I've also lived through some big earthquakes and I guess it's just part of my "emergency preparedness" mindset to try to avoid situations where I could be stranded if there is a factor that is in my control to manage.

12. mjHession

mjHession New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    How do you track fuel with Fuelly if your not filling?

13. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I fill up with 2 notches left. This may sound conservative but I don't want to run out of gas. In my old car( sebring) 1/4 of a tank was my fill up.

14. Revan86

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did not really want to make a longer post of it. What I do is when I need gas I take the 5gal gas can I had for ages and fill it when I get gas. Then top off the tank later on. It's a bit of a pain but like you said I can't really use fully if I only get a few gal at a time. I've not had the car long and refueling is not something a have to do all the time so it's not so bad. I'm sure after a while I won't even keep up with any of it. The car seems to be pretty right on with its numbers up to this point.