1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excited to buy my first Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by nickroc, Mar 15, 2016.

1. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys (and girls)!

I have been lurking here for a few months and now that I have made a decision I thought it was time to join!

Slight back story - I consider myself someone who loves cars - I'm not super knowledgeable about them, but I know enough to know what I want and be dangerous. I have never wanted a practical car and scoffed at the idea of owning a "family sedan" for most of my life (I'm 29 right now). Gas mileage, space, and comfort were very far down my priority list behind speed and handling. That all changed 2 years ago when I was finally lucky enough to purchase my dream car - to be fair it had been a long time (10+ years worth of savings) coming. Having purchased that, I needed a new daily driver. I had a Lancer Ralliart at the time and that needed to go for numerous reasons - mainly expense related (boy that gas mileage sucked...Mitsu quality is nothing to write home about either).

Insert my current Camry (his name is Marcus, after Marcus Fenix from Gears of War...in case there are any other video game nerds on the forum). When I was younger, I can distinctly remember saying out loud, "I'll never own a Camry". I apparently didn't know what I was missing. It was spacious, comfortable, and the gas mileage was incredible. It really made me realize what and how I wanted to drive around every day. I got a 2 year lease to see how I'd like it and that two years is up in a couple months. Now that i know what I truly like and after testing a few different cars i'm ready to join the high MPG club and get a Prius. Full disclosure is I wasn't a huge fan of the previous gen's body style but this one intrigued me enough to give it a shot. Test drove one and fell in love.

In a couple months i'll be a proud owner of a Prius 4 - Blizzard Pearl - Moonstone Interior (his name will be Baird). I seriously can't wait...and can't believe i'm so excited for a Prius! This board has been incredible when it came to me making a decision. All of the information, references, and feedback is tremendous and I thank everyone involved in putting it together. Over the next couple months I'm going to read up on as much as I can so i'm ready to go day 1...or at least as ready as I can be. And in the meantime i just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself as I'm hoping to be a part of this great group moving forward!

-Nick

Robert Holt, Jon Senum and ozmatt like this.
  2. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! funny story, reminds me of the guy in the visa commercial, starts out with, 'i'm never getting married'.:p let us know when you get it and post pics please. all the best!(y)

Kramah313 likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Nick, Yes, welcome! I was one of those people who looked down on a Prius. Especially when that stupid brake issue came up ("my brakes don't work and I can't stop"....anyone remember that?). But like with most things, I had to do my homework on this car. You will find that you have purchased a really reliable car that will give you great gas mileage. I'm at the age where I just wanted a simple comfy reasonably easy to work on car that will give my no issues during the life of my loan. My last toyota proved this is possible by going 4 years over the life of the car loan. Enjoy your 2016. And send us the pics when you get it!!

5. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks everyone! Nice reference Bisco - and so true! And agree on all accounts Montgomery.

Will definitely post up pics - may be a few months before i have it - but it will be well worth the wait!

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings!
    Welcome Aboard.

nickroc likes this.
  7. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPDATE: my Prius has a scheduled build date of 4/18, so about 7 weeks before its here!!!!

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woot woot! Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

nickroc likes this.
  9. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally arrived! First order of business was swapping out those wheels. Next up is a little bit of pain work...(roof and side mirrors) I am also absolutely in love with the tail lights. Wish I could see them al the time! Image1465742078.045089.jpg Image1465742095.987574.jpg Image1465742028.112929.jpg ATTACH=full]111949[/ATTACH]

iPhone ?

Attached Files:

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! time to change your info.(y)

11. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Good call!

iPhone ?

12. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And finally got the last cosmetic mod done! Roof and side mirrors in gloss black. Quite happy with the turnout.

As we speak, my wife and I are taking him on our first long road trip. He's been awesome so far and I'm getting 55.5 mpg on the hilly turnpike.

IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6305.JPG

iPhone ?

Robert Holt and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's gorgeous! or handsome.:p

nickroc likes this.
  14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome!
    (But if Gen 4 user interface is like Gen 3, be prepared for some intriguing and cryptic communications from your car, such as "EV mode unavailable ", "I'm not ready for that", etc.)

15. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ha! Can't wait! I did have the screen freeze and restart once. So far that is the extent of the weirdness. Been awesome this far tho!

iPhone ?

Robert Holt likes this.
  16. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Great pics! Question: Why didn't you wrap the shark fin antenna on the roof? Do you have a Moonroof? I'm thinking about wrapping my roof(not sure about the mirrors just yet). I'm still 50/50 on the body side moldings. Here's my '16 Two.

436EA649-9940-48B9-9446-ACB7B3B8CD92.JPG
    C0746A68-3A14-4CE8-85EA-7C5262B0223E.JPG

mechbat likes this.
  17. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went back and forth on wrapping it but ultimately decided I liked the contrast. The whole car is a black and white theme...even have the moonstone interior. If I had black interior I probably would have wrapped the antenna too. My other concern was how the wrap may turn out as that piece may be a little annoying to wrap.

And yes, I do have a moonroof.

Nice man! What kind of wheels are those? They are sharp. I wasn't sure if is like moldings but I gave them a try. After seeing them on I think they, and the side splitters bring a little bit of flare accents to the bottom half of the car...but it's def a matter of preference.

iPhone ?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's getting more gorgeous!(y)

nickroc likes this.
  19. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I also have Moonstone and almost wished I went black. I thought about getting a Three with a moonroof, I really should have gone that route because now if I wrap my roof it just might look out of place without one.

The wheels and tires are:

Niche Targa M129 rims - Anthracite
    17" Toyo Versado Eco 215/45/17 tires

I average 63mpg with these 17's so it's great! I love the way they handle and they feel great while driving. It just makes the Prius look much, much better.

Now I'm just kicking myself for not getting a moonroof.

20. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks!

iPhone ?