1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exclamation Point, Hybrid System Warning Light, All other lights car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nfwcallstar, Aug 21, 2020.

1. nfwcallstar

nfwcallstar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last night I was driving my car home when The Red Exclamation point, hybrid system light, and it seems like all other dash lights came on. The car was running fine at this point, but I pulled over right away. I turned off the car, and when I started it again I wouldn't go into drive or reverse, the engine wouldn't start, and the lights persisted. I checked my oil and coolant and topped both off to make sure it wasn't overheating, and put a full tank of gas in. I checked the codes and got P1121 and P1122, which I believe relate to the Coolant control valve, which I replaced in July, just over 2 months ago now. I put the car into maintenance mode and checked the 12v battery and it was reading 11.7, which I believe may be the source of the issue. I had left my hatch open accidentally the night before, but I usually don't have my cabin lights, but Im unsure if this would drain the battery. What is a healthy reading for the 12v when the car isn't running?
    I disconnected the 12v for ten minutes, and was able to start the car after reconnecting it, but within a few minutes of driving all the lights returned, but I was able to get it home. Once I turned the car off and on it seems to be locked up again, not moving from park or neutral. Any other ideas of what I could be dealing with here? I plan on replacing the 12v tonight once I'm off work if I confirm that its faulty.
    2009-Gen II Prius

2. nfwcallstar

nfwcallstar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update: Battery Changed, oddly the battery is reading weaker than the one before at 11.4, and goes to about 11.1 once its turned on. After changing the battery it would run again without issues for a time, then the Red Exclamation point, Hybrid system light, VSC, and the round Exclamation point lights came on. I parked the car and again it wouldn't go into drive or reverse, and all of the lights are on at that point. Any ideas? I think I may need to to take it to a mechanic.

Attached Files:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it draining the 12v between starts?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You likely have a P0AA6 HV isolation fault. Most likely due to electrolyte leakage on your HV battery, but you'd need to get the codes read or start disassembling to verify.

This code will allow you to continue driving, but once you turn off the car, it locks out the ability to go into gear. This can be reset by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes. If the isolation is really bad in the Hv battery, even that won't reset it. P0AA6 is the ONLY RTOD code that has this characteristic.

This has nothing to do with the 12v battery. But it could be the HV battery, the HV cables, the inverter, the transaxle or the AC compressor. 90% of the time or more, it's the HV battery.