1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!)exclamation sign

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jebo, Dec 31, 2004.

1. jebo

jebo New Member

have a used 2001 prius which i bought from japan and bring it home in phillipines. the car didnt came with any users manual with it.

can anyboby help me out whats wrong with my car? what this sign means? theres "!" on my led panel and "!" with a car sign on my monitor and also theres a warnig marked PS.

will apreciate any help. thanks!!! happy new year!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that is the main hybrid problem light and usually needs a trip to the dealer to get the problem fixed. I'm not sure on the Japan version if it has the OBD11 plug to get the codes from the computer. It's normally a serious problem that triggers the ! mark.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't PS stand for Power Steering?

4. Frank Hudon

It's the general Hybrid failure indicator I've had it on the wife's 2k1 and it truned out to be the aux battery.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh okay. Learned something new!

6. toocean

toocean New Member

[font=Arial:ce70337be8]

I live in England and have a used 1999 Prius which is an import from Japan. Last week the same thing happen to my car, I got an ! in a triangle on the main dash and an ! in a car on the centre console.

First I thought that it was the 12V battery so I changed that and the problem dissapeared but re-appeared after 24 hours.

I took it to the local dealer who cannot help as it's an import but the tales I have been getting are freightening. I have been told that either the ECM above the main Nicad battery is gone or the Nicad battery itself is gone and the price for the ECM is £1100 and the battery is £7500, that what i have been told by the local Toyota Dealer.

So if anyone can enlighten me with better news I will appreciate it very much.
    thanks
    Tim [/font:ce70337be8]

7. Frank Hudon

you didn't by chance run out of gas(petrol) did you as that will trigger the (!) general hybrid failure light as well.

8. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried to see how low I could get the tank so that I could see how much it took on fill-up. The last green square was blinking, but I was waiting for a red square. Instead, the triangle with the ! and the check engine light came on. I got gas immediately and it all went away. I hope I didn't ruin something but expect that the warning comes long before tragedy.

9. jebo

jebo New Member

is there any buttons i could press to reset this warnings? my 2001 prius got warnings allover the screen. exclamations in triangle, exclamation in car , PS warinig on screen. wish somebody could give a hint

10. nirpoonit

nirpoonit New Member

hello i'm a mauritan and bought a prius too and it is indicating the same sign please help me if i anyone have been able to repair your car. my car is the way i earn so please help me. the (!) sign is indicated on the board and a turtle is also shown.

ps means power supply. you must change the small battery

i'm from mauritius. i have the same model of prius 1999. i'm getting the same problem and also that the car cannot go through steep roads. it stops i have to wait for the battery to charge then to continue. did you get a manual english medium with the car.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nirpoonit @ Apr 17 2007, 04:12 AM) [snapback]424522[/snapback]</div>

PS = power steering

The turtle means your battery is drained and will not be assisting in the propulsion of the vehicle

The "!" sign inside a triangle is simply a Master Warning Light.

12. arapberen

arapberen New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Prius gurus, I encoutered a similar problem, might any of you got the solution to the car with an exclamation sign in the middle? The red triangle is hidden on the speed display section at the far right. Kindly help on this. Also, my consumption is abit high, an average of 14KM/Ltr. Your advice will be appreciated

13. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about E-brake? Probably not that, but is your brake fluid down? Hal

14. arapberen

arapberen New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Hal, My Breakfluid is ok, I still have the sign (a car with an exclamation mark in the middle)

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you see the car w/ ! warning icon in the MFD, this means that the hybrid system is impaired. You'll need to have the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) read, in order to have an idea about what is wrong.