1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exclusive: New Prius models to be named Prius V and Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You might already know that Toyota will be releasing two new Prius models into dealership showrooms by the end of 2012, and you might also know that those two models are going to be a MPV-style wagon and a smaller, compact sized Prius. According to PriusChat's anonymous dealer tipster, the names of the two new Prius models are the Prius V and the Prius C. My only guess regarding the letters is that the Prius V stands for "Versatile" and the Prius C stands for "Compact". Initially, we would have thought V stands for "Van", but the spy photos that came out this past week clearly show that the Prius V (formerly Alpha) is more of a wagon than a minivan. The naming nomenclature is a bit odd after Toyota spent a year with the 3rd Generation Prius having a trim level called "V". Back in July, Toyota told PriusChat that the trim levels for the 2011 Prius would be referred to by being spelled out instead of the current Roman Numeral system, so naming the Prius wagon the Prius V appears to be the reason for that. The feeling amongst dealers is that the Prius V will be a big seller, but there is concern regarding the Prius C that Toyota is filling their line-up with similar sized cars like the Yaris and the Scion IQ. Sound off in the forums on what you think of the Prius V and Prius C names. Thanks, tipster!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not too interested in the Prius V but would be very interested in Prius C if weight to power ratio is significantly lower than the current Prius.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care too much about the naming. V & C ? Not real exciting...but who cares? Basicly what seems to be happening is the concious choice of Toyota to turn Prius the model into "Prius" the Brand.

So how do you guys feel about it? In a few years when you say "I drive a Prius" you might have to elaborate and be more specific.

As far as the products go? I'd be intereted in both...but need to see them and know the specifics...but a Bigger Prius...and a smaller hybrid...I'd look at both, I think there is a place for both products.

4. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the prius c is a de-contented ct200h

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree that Prius V can be confusing. Couldn't they just go with two alphabet? Something liike CT and VT.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the V will be a big hit with the older current Prius buyer while the C will appeal to the first time buyer and the huge number of current buyers who cannot afford or who will not qualify for a $30000-ish vehicle. But they will be able to qualify/afford an $18 -$19K vehicle.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So many interesting choices coming in 2012, I wish my '04 would just die already.

Fat chance ;-)

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think Toyota will have to worry about the Prius C destroying sales of the Yaris and Scions. Toyota sells far more Yarises and Scions than Priuses (based on what I see on the road - please feel free to correct me if you have actual sales data). And, even if the Prius C could take away a significant amount of sales from Yaris and Scion, why would the dealers complain? They are still selling cars, one way or another.

Too concerned that Toyota is filling their line-up with (small) sized cars? I don't exactly see people rushing in to buy gas-guzzling Sequoias. Does Toyota even sell enough gas-guzzling Sequoias to justify still making it?

9. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is'nt there already a Prius 5? (V)

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow. I have to say I hate lazy letter numbering schemes. I really hate it. Like in the Scion line it's so forgettable, what's a xa xb tc? Who knows? Or better yet who cares. Most brands don't do this until you get upscale and even BMW is smart enough to at least have a hint of the car behind the numbers, but Acura, for example, isn't.

Still interested in the V. I wish it would have a real name.

I guarantee when people have told others "I drive a scion xA" They're like "which one is that?" Because nobody else knows/cares/can remember these stupid letters.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm looking at it from the volume, MPG and a scaled merit factor:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 year ft {3} MPG CH factor
    1 2001 101 44.8 45.3
    2 2004 112 47.3 53.0
    3 2010 116 49.3 57.2
    Chris Hogan (CH) factor is (.01*(.5*volume)*MPG).

So I'm looking at the drive system and though PHEV will fractionally improve MPG, it is range limited. Volume has also increased, improving vehicle utility but it is hard to image larger volumes with equivalent MPG. The next vehicles will be interesting.

The only 'low hanging fruit' parallel to PHEV are articulating, front air inlet and engine compartment thermal management. Until the ICE is warmed up, the engine compartment should be closed. Once operating temperature is reached, admit only enough air to maintain temperature. Then when the car is parked, let the exhaust manifold heat load escape and seal it up. A thermally insulated, engine and drive compartment makes a lot of sense and can compete with PHEV beyond battery range.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It may be the "V" and "C" names are the pre-production names used internally. Often this happens (a project name), then it goes to marketing for the "real" street name.

-I- wouldn't panic over the name just yet. ;)

14. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They're calling it a "Prius C" and "Prius V" so that people still say "I drive a Prius."

When Toyota named the Camry and Corola, people no longer say "I drive a Toyota." They say "I drive a Camry." Toyota wants to meek sure everyone says "Prius."

15. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably not. The CT200h has the same wheelbase and drivetrain as the Gen3 Prius

16. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

Where is my Prius Minivan?

Seriously, we now have a kid and grandparents in our family and I was really really hoping beyond hope that the new Prius would be the Estima Hybrid they sell in Japan.

(oh well)

At least I guess we are now free to buy any old minivan (still won't buy an SUV on principle) for our trippin around. Still sucks that over a decade after the release of the original Prius, we don't see a good minivan option for the hybrid lovin crowd.

17. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I imagine as soon as they can deliver MPG's in the 40's with a mini-van they will!

18. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe they mean the Prius V is bigger and can comfotably seats five, or the V stands for "V"ictory for this model will shutup all the rear windows visibility nay sayers; and the Prius C is a "C"ompact?

19. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that's got a 100mm shorter wheelbase (2600mm vs 2700mm). It does have the same drivetrain, but if it shares any other parts with anything, it's more likely to be the Auris HSD (i.e. Corolla), though Toyota and Lexus seem not to follow the 'platform' mentality as thoroughly as other manufacturers. As I recall the CT200h has independent, rather than torsion beam, rear suspension.

I wonder, actually, if the Prius C will be the production version of the FT-Ch.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius V should be named "Prius 7". Seven seater, simple. :)