1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exercise, Eat right ~ then go straight to the Hospital

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hill, Jun 22, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    After several years of a "white bread" (very poor) diet and no exercise habits, I got on the "healthy" kick. That was over 14 years ago. I got my mile swims down to a half hour, cut beer down to a couple per year, and made broccoli, tomatoes, artichokes & raw spinach etc. a regular thing.

In the middle of the night, three weeks ago, I woke to the horrible and usual feelings of food poisoning symptoms, and rode it out for two days. Then Bob, our physician / neighbor says, "that’s not food poisoning, that’s a kidney stone ... now go drink lots of water".

So, a few hits of morphine, a trip to the hospital, and 4 ½ more days later, it passed. Made me so happy I cried liike a girl. The stories of pain were everything I’d heard. The urologist said that 75% of kidney stones are calcium / oxalate minerals, and that the oxalate mineral comes from eating lots of vegetables ... like broccoli, spinach, artichokes, nuts, etc.

What a sick exasperating irony, that one could dehydrate on long swims, causing your veggies to drop a 6 ½ day bomb inside you. The Jack-in-the-Box ultimate cheese burger, and Couch Potato lifestyle never looked so tempting.

[​IMG]

About the size of a dehydrated blue berry ... which I now fear ~ as they are a source high in oxalate filled fiber. :(

I searched PC & found a few others with the same story. 1 out of 10 get 'em statistically. That means 9 of you are safe, thanks to me! So go drink your water, and make sure you pee a couple quarts per day.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Exercize, Eat right ~ then go straignt to the Hospital

Actually, I believe its:

"Eat Fiber, Exercise Hard, Die Anyway"

I had that on a T-shirt I used to wear to the gym.

I don't go to the gym anymore.

Sorry for your pain. Be thankful it wasn't an appendectomy.

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OMG - look, life is short................everything can be done in moderation............A COUPLE OF BEERS A YEAR?? just end it all NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optimistically, i heard the liver as a way to "adapt" to your habits.

AM I CONDONING ALCOHOLISM??? noooooooooooooooooooo but a couple beers a year is sin..........................

heal well, heal fast..............let's have a beer HILL.....................

cheers.

4. sophia_frederika

sophia_frederika New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

According to a church marquee i used to drive past almost every day, it was "Eat right, Exercise, Die Anyway" For some reason I never really felt like stopping in there....

Thank you for taking the hit for my kidneys :rolleyes: I hope you're feeling better. What are you going to do with your souvenir?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Thanks for taking the hit for us. I'll sleep better knowing I'm one of the nine who are safe because of your sacrifice. :rolleyes:

Tom

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I feel your pain, well actually I felt your pain back when I was 18.
    I was suffering the worst back pain I have ever felt in my short life or even since then. It was constant and not relieved by position, heat or pain killers. After suffering all day at work I asked my brother to take me to hospital on his way home from my home as he wanted to borrow my car and the hospital was on the way there. He dropped me there and went home. After being given an examination I was told I had pulled a muscle in my back and I should go home and rest. I was given a certificate to take 2 days off work, a prescription for strong pain killers and told I could go home.

My brother took me to his home where I spent the night in their spare room to be taken home on my brother's journey to work the next day. After taking pain killers I managed to get to sleep but woke before daylight with intense pain. I also needed to use the toilet. This was frightening for a 18 year old because what came out was not what I expected, instead of a clear yellow stream(sorry this gets graphic) I saw puss and blood dribbling out with some urine which was bright red and a horrible yellow yuk and the pain was so bad I almost passed out, I think the fear from what I was seeing kept me conscious.

I woke my brother and asked him to please take me to hospital where I was admitted and kept in hospital for 2 or 3 days, I don't remember. I was kept there until my urine returned to normal and the pain subsided somewhat but I was still in a lot of pain when I left. In total I had a week off work.

I feel your pain Hill and I'm happy it's over for you.
    Now if this happens to 1 in 10 then 18 people here are safe.
    I now drink a minimum of 2 litres per day even if it's cold and more if it's hot. That is I drink water, soft drink, cordial and sometimes beer and a minimum 2 litres a day.
    Excuse me I need to get a drink.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

The urologist keeps it to test what kinds of minerals they're made of.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

my sis had several stones removed when she was 18 or 19. this was after she had already dealt with 1 or 2 the non-surgical way. :eek:

9. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

been there done that, wouldnt wish it on anyone...except maybe a couple of people on the politcal forum here..you know who you are..
    i once replaced a retiree when her turned 65. he had run everyday only ate veggies and sometimes the leanest of meats...he had all kinds of retirement benes that he was just starting to enjoy until he passed away at 66..my mom, rest in peace, ate eggs, pasta and other hi fat foods almost everyday and never excercised lived and danced til 92

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yup, gotta drink more water.
    And fruit... eat fruit, too... drink cranberry juice occasionally :)

It's all about balance.

Oh, and feel free to sprinkle a little lemon juice or vinegar on your dark green leafies... it helps the phytonutrients be available... and, I'm of the opinion that it drops the chance of stones.

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Dancing is exercise!

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm one of those 9 that are safe thanks to Hill! The rest of your better post before the other 7 spots fill up! :D

Glad to hear you feel better now man. :)

13. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Man...the stone's bad enough, but passing that quarter must have been a monumental experience! :eek:

Glad you're feeling better.

Nick

14. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I just love bicycle racing too much to stop exercising on my road bikes.
    Other than that, I do like my couch :)

15. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Good reason to drink lots of water a day!

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

My first year in the Army, my bunkmate had similar symptoms. As it turned out, he had picked up a *very* nasty case of gonorrhea. The naughty boy

Sounds like you either passed a stone or had some sort of urinary tract infection. My elderly father has had prostate problems for 12 years now, and as a result has had to have a catheter inserted a few times.

Watching what he went through, I have made a firm vow to rush to a doctor if my urine output experiences even a *minor* flow reduction. Our plumbing is downright dumb in design

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

It's a scientific fact that life is fatal. To date no one has survived living.

Sorry to hear about the stone. My wife had one lithoscopied a few years ago. No fun for either of us.

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I gave birth to a little baby rock. This was the opinion of the doctor anyway. I was a good boy back then, sort of.

19. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

As yet another who has passed a stone, or two, I know the pain and I know the mantra - drink lots of water.

The problem that I have is that I do not like water unless it is flavoured (prefer beer flavour), but all that does is put more minerals in the system for the kidney to filter out, and thus increases the chance for more stones. So I am taking the hit for another 9, because I just cannot drink just water, plain water, and thus am likely to get yet another stone.

20. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

As I have said for years, 'Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease.'