1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust fumes smell inside the cabin

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZeroM8, Feb 27, 2022.

1. ZeroM8

ZeroM8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all,

My Prius V cabin smells of exhaust fumes. In the beginning, it seemed like I could just close the vent, but it has gotten worse that eventually closing the vent didn't help. Realizing this is not safe I stopped driving it immediately and I took it to my mechanic who duly changed the exhaust manifold gasket thinking that was the issue. This didn't help, the problem remained.

We did a second try at finding the source of leak, this time with some spray under the car, but with the heat rising and tight spaces around exhaust manifold, it's hard to be certain where the leak comes from. So we decided to change the exhaust manifold, the manifold gasket again (engine side), the round gasket connecting the manifold to the muffler assembly, and of course the spring bolts.

Looking at the old exhaust manifold, my mechanic thinks there were some leaks with the manifold warping in certain locations and burnt marks around the holes (see pics). I drove the car again today, it has definitely improved in terms of smell, but it's hard for me to tell that the smell is gone for good if I leave the vent open (i.e. not recirculated inside). It could just be my fear of inhaling carbon monoxide. But I am not 100% confident that this issue is solved.

The other concern I have is that why would the manifold look like it is in the pictures where certain locations look like it has experienced more heat and even the newly installed gasket that was not even ran for 100 km since installation is already busted on one of the sides. What could be causing this issue? Or is this to be expected given the engine runs at a very high temperature?

I will be driving this car tomorrow to work, to make some more observations, and if it does get worse again. I will definitely open the windows if I realize it still is a problem.

Any help and suggestions much appreciated.

upload_2022-2-27_22-0-54.jpeg

upload_2022-2-27_22-1-20.jpeg

upload_2022-2-27_22-1-49.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That manifold looks extremely corroded and uneven which may explain the original leak and the failure of the second gasket.

Hopefully its fixed now. It is possible you are now sensing another vehicle's exhaust with the vent open or oil burning off your engine from an oil leak. The timing chain cover is a common oil leak.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has the engine block been removed before? Then I suspect that manifold wasn't bolted back properly/at the correct torque....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

4. ZeroM8

ZeroM8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Which part under the hood is the timing chain cover located? I will have that checked also. Thanks.

5. ZeroM8

ZeroM8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought this car last summer. The owner mentioned about cylinder head gasket was redone, but the exhaust manifold is further down, isn't it? So this might be the original manifold still.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On a gen3 the timing chain is on the passenger side. If there is no leak it should be clean, nearly spotless. There are other possible leaks as well but the timing chain cover is common and difficult to fix.

7. ZeroM8

ZeroM8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Ok passenger side, if I'm not mistaken, the oil filter is on that side also. Will ask my mechanic to check it on the next oil change. Thanks a lot RJ. Appreciate your suggestions on this one.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    If the head gasket was replaced, there's a good chance the exhaust manifold was removed. Warpage on the cylinder head can be present and wasn't carefully checked. The reason behind the head gasket replacement can be your tell-tale signs of your problem. Might of overheated!