1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exotic Clunkers also got the Crunch Under C4C

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SilverPriusIII, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SilverPriusIII

SilverPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can not believe that some people would get rid of the exotic cars and or cars that value more than $4500 for the Cash for Clunker program. There were 37 people actually got rid of their less than 1 year old car for the C4C.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/09/25/478968.html

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's because it's BS. Some of the cars on that list don't even qualify. I dare you: go ahead and look for the 2006 350Z Roadster on cars.gov.

3. SilverPriusIII

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks like you did not got my edited link. The link I am providing are those qualified and were crushed for the C4C.

The Auto Channel

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The is completely BS, the engine of the Bentley worths more than $4500 by itself.
    It is false that 37 less than one year model car are junked because you must own and insured the car for more than one year.

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If someone turned in a car worth more than $4500, for $4500, then they are the clunker. Nobody made people turn in anything. If it was worth more than $4500, they should have sold it privately.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you didn't go to the source (cars.gov) and realize that some lazy journalist decided to write a BS "story" about the exotics supposedly on the list. That "journalist" most likely basically looked at the same list (link below) and wrote a (complete BS) narrative involving a person who has not actually been tracked down and talked to in real life.

The actual list of trade-ins:
    http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the comments (especially the one about any vehicle less than a year old not qualifying) but when it comes to things like exotic Mercedes, if someone trashes one it can basically have a negative value (especially with a blown engine or transmission). The cost to repair an AMG (or even my old '91 560SEL, for that matter) far exceeds the value of a very nice one at wholesale. I've seen some late model Bentleys and Mercedes that were absolutely trashed - some people definitely have more disposable income than sense.

What I'd like to see is the same list except of the cars that were purchased with these clunkers. There's a lot of talk that the majority of the sales were "foreign." It would be interesting to see the real numbers.

Still, it was nothing but a sensationalist fluff piece and not journalism, so why am I bothering to respond? :mad: :D

8. SilverPriusIII

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your list does has a Rolls 1997 Continental R as well as some 2008 cars such as XD.