1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expected battery life left?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brenden Truman, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Brenden Truman

Brenden Truman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know this topic has been covered extensively, but I wanted to see what ya'll thought about my particular situation. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen and replaced, and through that process it got me thinking if I want to replace my Prius with a new one to save the hassle of going through that again. I have a 2015 Prius two with 80,000 miles on it and am wondering how much longer I can expect the main battery to last. It hasn't been through the most ideal circumstances, it has been in Utah during 3 winters where temps are in the single digits, and through 7 summers where the temp sits around 110 for a big portion of the summer. Should I be worried about my battery prematurely giving out given those conditions, or am I just worrying for no good reason? I am hoping to get another 5 years and 50,000 miles out of it before I will replace it with something nicer. Thanks in advance!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think that's a reasonable expectation. From what I've seen, they'll handle all the miles you care to put on them for about 12-15 years. Then it gets iffy.

Brenden Truman likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With only 80,000 miles you shouldn't worry about the hybrid battery. Or any other thing for a 2015 Prius.
    There are some people on Prius Chat that like to scare people because that's what makes them feel better
    about themselves.
    As with ANY vehicle, set money aside for repairs and you'll be fine.

4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive a 2015. Still have the original HV battery. Hasn't given me any issues. Replaced the 12v battery at 5 years.

5. Rickt86

Rickt86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What price are you thinking of selling it for?

6. Brenden Truman

Brenden Truman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be hoping to get 13-15k for it. If I can get MSRP for a 23', I feel like it would be a decent time to sell while the used car market is still hot.

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody can tell you how much longer your battery will last, because that depends on its history---like how hot has it been, how many times and how widely it has been cycled, etc.

The battery in my 2011 doesn't show obvious degradation yet, and the car has been parked in the sun all summer for at least the past 9 summers.

8. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm not sure that this advice applies to a 2015 model. My reasoning is

1) in many states the HV battery will be under warranty for for an extended period of time and miles and the batteries are designed for extended lifetime.
    2) The Prius hybrid is designed to place very little stress on the battery while in use. When the dashboard shows that it's full, it actually has room for more charge if you need to brake hard. If the battery reads empty, it actually has a fair amount of charge left.
    3) The Atkinson cycle engine starts easily when needed to charge the battery while driving.
    4) Most of the battery cycle is under control of the car, not the driver. It will not let you destroy the battery through normal driving.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Approximate battery life left is 3 years 4 months and 10 days left according to your driving style.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's mostly true, but doesn't make what I said about the remaining life expectancy of B. Truman's battery untrue. Nobody can tell exactly how much longer it will last---except Grit.

11. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Judging by the huge mileage your doing I wouldn't worried... If like in the UK you have a hybrid battery check done by the dealers £45 in the UK this covers you for another 12 months or 10,000 months of warranty up to 12-15years old I believe.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned earlier, it’s more about time than miles. When I looked into the publicly available info I could find a few years ago, It seemed like the average Gen 2-3 Prius HV battery has a negligible chance of failing within the first 10 years, and then a roughly 3% per year chance of failing after that. From what I’ve heard since then, the lifespan of a Prius hybrid battery is inversely proportional to the amount of dirt, dust, and debris in the immediate vicinity of the air intake for the battery fan. Keep the intake and fan clean, and the battery is likely to last a long time. Have your dog shed hair right next to the intake or your kids toss cheerios in there and the battery is liable to die a lot sooner.