1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expected Repair Costs and Schedule

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by animartis, Sep 20, 2009.

1. animartis

animartis Junior Member

Hello All,

I was wondering if there are any statistics out there on when items usually need replacement on the Prius and the cost of such items. My 2005 Prius now has 166K and I want to start budgeting/forecasting repair/maintenance expenses. Is this data gathered anywhere?

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how many items have YOU replaced so far?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I don't think there are any Prius parts that fail on a tight schedule; quite the opposite. It is certainly sensible to plan ahead for such potential costs though. As you want to budget forwards I would suggest 2 or 3 cents per mile driven. Set that aside and hope it's enough when and if you get a parts failure.

Another good approach is preventative maintenance, including transaxle fluid changes, belts and hoses, etc. There is some evidence that now might be about the right time (odometer) for you to get a new water pump on the inverter coolant loop.

4. animartis

animartis Junior Member

Thank you. I did read about the trans-axle fluid and will look into that. The only semi high-ticket item that I've had to replace so far was the water pump. Other than that I've had no problems but I do put on about 35K a year with commuting and want to make sure I'm prepared for future repair expenses. I appreciate the feedback.:)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When your car hit 100K and then 120K miles, did you do all of the scheduled service like replacing the engine and inverter coolants, iridium spark plugs, the filters, etc.? If anything on that schedule is still outstanding, it would be good to catch up on that work soon.

No statistics regarding failure rates, but from the stories shared on this forum it seems like the potential trouble spots include the engine coolant pump (which you apparently already replaced), the inverter coolant pump, coolant heat recovery pump, MFD, 12V battery, and (considering your odometer reading) the traction battery.

The 2G transaxle seems fairly bulletproof but I think that your transaxle will potentially last longer if you change the fluid periodically.

Assuming that the inverter coolant pump hasn't been changed yet, you might consider replacing that as a preventive move especially since you rely heavily on your car for commuting and I assume an unscheduled failure would cause you substantial inconvenience. If the 12V battery is more than 4 years old consider a preventive replacement for the same reason.

If the MFD or traction battery goes, you might cut repair costs substantially by having a salvage part installed, if you have an independent mechanic in your area who will work on Prius.

6. richardp

richardp New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just purchased a used '07 with 27.5k miles. I'm getting a "Maintenance Required" dash light during startup. It goes out shortly after the vehicle goes READY and I'm wondering if that's normal or if I need to see somebody about it.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The MAINT REQD light comes on at 5K mile intervals, based upon an odometer "timer". The purpose of the light is to encourage you to get an engine oil/filter change.

The light will appear briefly, starting at 4,500 miles after last reset. When you get to 5K miles then the light will remain on.

The owner's manual explains how to reset the timer or else you can search this forum for reset info.