1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expected vs. real charging rates on 120 V and 240 V chargers

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bkborgman, Jan 28, 2018.

1. bkborgman

bkborgman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently my wife and I bought a 2015 Plug-In Prius. We live in an apartment and don't have a place to charge it nightly, so we thought we would charge it at least once a week in hope that this would maintain the EV battery until we get a home (about 2-3 months out).

Today we plugged it in to a 240 V ChargePoint charging station that is rated for 6.6 kW maximum power output. Due to the amperage limitations (12V for both 120 and 240 VAC connections), we were expecting a charge rate around 2.8 kW and a total charging time of about 1.5 hours. However, the car charged at 2.3 kW for about five minutes, then fell back to 1.3 kW for the remainder of the hour for an average rate of 1.34 kW. Is this typical?

Additionally, looking at charging stations in my area, some charge per kW whereas others charge per hour. Of those that charge per hour, the prices vary wildly between locations. Has anyone had any luck convincing providers to change their pricing models?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

1) you do not need to charge the battery to maintain it, it is fine uncharged.

2) no, there must be something wrong with the charge point evse, report it to them. mine takes around 90 minutes or less at home on my L2.
    you get around 80% charge in an hour then it falls back for the final 20%.

3) the property owner where the evse is sets the rate pricing.

3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    There's only about 3.3 kWh usable capacity, and the maximum charging rate is 2.2 kW @ 230V (10A), so I think what you saw is about right.