1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expensive Coolant Hose Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SisterSara, Oct 13, 2009.

1. SisterSara

SisterSara New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My husband noticed a substantial quantity of pink fluid on our garage floor the other day where I park Pri3. Almost as soon as he called me to warn me-my engine overheat light came on. When I opened the hood I noticed the coolant reservoir was almost empty. I drove to the dealer hoping at least this would be a warranty issue......

When the car was in the air the mechanic said that I must have hit something though a very small something-because along with a small tear in the engine coolant hose there was a little scratch on the hose assembly on the bottom of the car so the repair cost was not covered under warranty. The cost to put in a new hose and clips and refill coolant is $330.

I guess the Gen3 has sometype of coolant/exhaust relationship which requires the coolant hose to run along the under carriage of the car. I also guess this is a very vulnerable position for such an important hose. I don't know what can be done to minimize damage, but if you feel something go bump in the road-beware....and check your fluid levels.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, sorry that happened but thanks so much for posting. With the low stance of the car I will be wary of this and see if there is something I can do to prevent it from happening.

Peter

p.s. keep all the paperwork in case there is a recall.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This facilitates the Exhaust Heat Recover System. The coolant is pumped back to the exhaust where it picks up heat and brings that heat to the engine. This helps heat the engine faster and improves it's overall efficiency.

This is a picture of a cut-away Prius showing the system. Cool coolant in blue and heated coolant in red showing how it goes to the exhaust and comes back to the engine.
    [​IMG]
    (picture lifted from BZWilson's site)

2 people like this.
  4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would write a nice leter to Toyota saying you think this is a design problem. Say the hoses should have be designed in such a way as to be covered somehow to prevent any obstacle from hitting a vunerable and important hose such as this. And you think they should pay for the enclosed bill as you feel they should have designed the car to prevent this. Send it return receipt requested and send it to the manager of whatever region your in. I'd be interested to see what they say.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I totally agree. Even if they don't respond/pay up they may consider a design change for the next models. Like extending the metal hose all the way up.
    I would be really interested in exactaly where the OP hose was punctured.

6. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1