1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expensive Steering Part

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by skewray, Feb 28, 2007.

1. skewray

skewray New Member

I just picked up a 2002 Prius at auction, and had it scoped out by the local dealership. According to them, it needs a new steering widget, part number 44200-49055, "LINK SET, ELECTRI", which weighs in as a heavyweight at $1426.49. How do I find out what this part really is? Any good suggestions as to where to find a pulled or refurbished part? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Brian

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skewray @ Feb 28 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]397677[/snapback]</div>
    These guys have it for $978: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

Of course the labor to put it in may be very expensive. It looks like it is the whole power steering assembly. In an Audi, you have to take the whole front end apart to do that kind of a job.

- Tom

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it steer properly? Or is the assist gone? You might want to
    poke around some salvage sites [maybe this one in particular] to
    see if they could scrounge up the right replacement parts.
    _H*

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Topic is the entire electrically assisted power steering rack. Sold only as a complete assembly, even though the failures seem to be caused by dirty potentiometers buried inside.

You can probably obtain it from from LKQ online or other salvage vehicle dismantlers. One from a 2003 model (not 01 or 02) should be a better bet, because by then the manufacturing issue was supposedly resolved.

R&R of the steering rack should be 2 hrs time or not a whole lot more.

If the steering shakes dramatically, power assist goes offline, or if the warning lights are on, there is little alternative to replacement.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't Toyota USA extend a warranty to all 2001-early 2003 models for the steering rack to ensure this part wouldn't be out of pocket due to shake?

6. skewray

skewray New Member

Thanks everyone for the great tips! This is one of the best forums I've ever visited!

There are no warning lights. If the dealership hadn't said that there was a problem, I'd never would have known. I am fairly certain that it won't be covered by any warranties; the car has 119K miles so far. It was owned by San Barnardino Omnitrans.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The steering warranty enhancement was 2001 and early 2002, no mileage limitation, and for 5 years after the original in-service date.

Skewray, it would certainly be worth some effort to try to talk your way into that program. Email me if you cannot otherwise obtain a copy of the 'warranty enhancement letter'. I just noticed that you are in Claremont so please give my regards to Eric Foster in the service dept. there

Congrats on the ASEL Rick. Just keep checkin' those seat rails...

8. skewray

skewray New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Mar 1 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]398509[/snapback]</div>
    How do I find out my original in-service date? The date on the chassis is 01/02. Is that the same thing?

Brian

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skewray @ Mar 1 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]398880[/snapback]</div>
    It would be the date the car was driven off the lot by its original purchaser. May or may not be easy to learn, but such was the wording of the warranty enhancement letter. The date you found is the month and year of manufacture; January 2002.