1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experience driving on the spare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by fotomickey, Jul 26, 2008.

1. fotomickey

fotomickey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It so happen that I've to replace 1 of the Tire....and will have to drive on Spare for the week.

It actually make the car feels lighter and seem scrolling forward much easier...but noisier

After my 1st day to & from work.... I almost certain that it can yield better MPG.... Properly because the Thin Spare have very little contact point to the ground & yield very low Rolling Resistance.

I definitely will go for best LRR tires when I go-thru my current set.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i want to do a spare test. get 4 spares and cruise through the city to see what my mpg is. :pop2: maybe 5 spares.. just in case one pops.

i agree. it seems faster and is really bad to have on the front tire.. even though i did it for a couple thousand miles.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    only drive with the spare tyre on the rear of the car.

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yea right, so i'm 15 miles from home with a flat up front, what do you suggest aside from putting spare on rear and juggling other tires..i dont think anyone is gonna do that. on the other hand from what i know, the donut spares are for 50 miles or less

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did.
    Replace the rear tyre with the spare then replace the front tyre with the rear then place the flat front tyre in the boot. It isn't so hard once you have the jack and spare out and adds 5 to 10 minutes to the process. It is a lot safer and will avoid undue stress on the differential and power steering.
    Ignore this advice at your own risk.

The space saver spare (donuts are food not tyres) is good for much more than 50 miles, more like 3000 or more depending on tyre wear rate. You should only drive 50mph but again that is at your discretion. I drove at 110km/h but that is in contravention to the hand book and something I would never consider with the space saver spare on the front.