1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experience with Nokian WR tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bfguilford, Nov 5, 2006.

1. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought I would start another thread with my experience with my new Nokian WRs instead of posting on the thread (http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=25338&hl=nokian+wr) that announced the group buy from Tire Facory ($10 discount per tire until Nov. 30th). For the suspicious in the crowd, I'm not associated with Tire Factory - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

I'm just back from a 625 mile trip around New England and, as promised, here are my first impressions of the Nokian WRs (195/60 R15) compared to the OEM Integrities (had 13,500 miles on them). ITire pressure is 42 front/40 rear (same as the Integrities).

Noise level is somewhat higher - there's a definite whine/hum to these tires. Not enough to be annoying for me (I just drowned it out with music - even at low volume, the tire noise isn't noticeable).

The car feels more solid on the road. The cornering is definitely improved. There's less "wandering" in normal driving - I wasn't aware of how much there was before I changed the tires, but the reduction was noticeable. Less buffeting in cross winds and from passing 18-wheelers. I had installed the BT stiffening brace as well after 2,000 miles and highly recommed it.

The first leg of my trip (around 110 miles) was in 60-ish degree weather and I got the same mileage as I have in the past on this leg of the trip (53 MPG +/-). The next leg of the trip was in 45-ish degree weather. I got around 50 MPG vs around 52MPG the last time I drove it (that was in the middle of the summer). The final leg was driven in 35 degree weather and I got a disappointing 47 MPG (seems odd to be complaining about 47 MPG, but we're talking about a PRIUS here).

Haven't driven in rain or snow yet (but I'm now looking forward to doing that).

Will update from time to time.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cool thanks! I'm debating whether to go with the WR or the ComforTreds.

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in a quandry.

I have a long trip planned (San Francisco Bay area to Omaha) over the Christmas holidays and will drive my Prius. I'll be right about at 20k miles before starting and I think it's a good idea to consider replacing the OEM tires before I leave. At this point I'm not sure if we will take the northern route (I-80) or the southern route through Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico but I would like to keep those options open.

How are the Nokian WR tires in normal driving around town with dry weather typical of the SF Bay area? This is important because I will run them all seasons. I had the car last year (OEM tires) but winter was not bad and most of my driving is in urban areas.

I'm considering either the Nokian WR or the Michelan Hydroedge. Any suggestions?

Need to make a decision soon so I can get them ordered, mounted and run in a bit before we leave.

Thanks.

Tom -_-