1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experience with Sunshades

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by dgmandkm, May 14, 2005.

1. dgmandkm

dgmandkm New Member

Springing into Summer--we see the need for sunshades. Please let me know about:
    1) any Canvasworks models experiences?
    2) any front windshield models?
    3) any easy to use rear window models? What type?
    4) where you purchased any you are happy with?

I can see that flat hatchback is going to absorb heat like crazy without some reflector.

Thanks very much!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have all of the heatshield sets from the priuschat store but if I were to do it over again, this is what I would do.

Buy the rear heatshield from Priuschat.

Buy a pair of those shades with the wire in the rim that spring open and twist close for the front.

Buy four small net shades with suction cups (they often have cartoon characters on them) for the side windows.

3. mshames

mshames New Member

I agree w/ Godiva --- the front heatshield sold by Priuschat is unwieldy and I'd likely not recommend it to others. It fits well, but doesn't roll-up neatly.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just tinted the back and sides so should help.
    I use the gray kind of sunshade that folds up into a circle (cloth with metal rims)- I got the Super Jumbo (Walmart) and put them up and down instead of sideways on the front window, as we have very long front windows. Easy to stow beside the passenger seat and the console.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Little update.

I'm living with the front Heatshield but if I had it over again would switch to those circular ones with the wire rims that fold up.

The side ones are fine, but again, for the price I'd get those wire-rimmed ones with the suction cups in the middle they make for side windows.

As for the back hatch window...the heatshield is lousy. I would never buy it again. The suction cups don't work and there aren't enough of them. I put it on by opening the hatch, which puts the shield upside down and since the suction cups are only on the top of the shield, that puts them on the bottom when I put it on and it doesn't hold. I'm not crawling in the back seat to try to wrestle that thing into place in the back window while reaching arms length over the back seats. And the suction cups still don't hold!

Yesterday a suction cup broke off of one of the little triangles for the back windows. At least it wasn't from one of the bigger shades. I've used it exactly twice. All in all, not happy and wouldn't buy them again. Not worth the price for the inconvenience of use and the fragility.

I'll probably have the windows tinted and eventually sell the shields on ebay.

They do a good job (except for the back) but are just too awkward and unwieldy for daily, regular use. They also take up a lot of space when rolled up. I only put them on when I know I'm going to be parked in full sun for several hours. For trips to the store....I don't bother. And you have to be way too careful not to damage them by pulling a suction cup off or breaking one.

For what I paid....they were a bad investment and I'd never do it again. There are other options that may not be as effective but are cheaper, easier to use and store a lot better in the car.

6. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

For the front I use the ones that everyone else is talking about. The ones with the metal rim. Honestly I don't know why anyone would spend much more for sunshades shaped exactly for your car. The ones I have fit almost perfect and they were decently priced.

I dent use anything on the rear or side windows because to me that would be too much of a hassle. However my windows are tinted so that helps a lot.

I seriously see at least 5 Prius's a day and have yet to see another one with tinted windows. [​IMG] The car looks soooooo much better with tint.