1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experiences With Other Toyota Cars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ravenlocks, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Ravenlocks

Ravenlocks New Member

Hello everyone,

I was just replying to a previous posting about the Prius being my first Toyota purchase. Being I am new to the car, I was wondering how everyone else felt about other Toyota makes along with the Prius? How reliable they really are? Experience with the Toyota dealerships themselves? Any horror stories about other dealerships or cars? Just curious....

Kim

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my husband has an 87 camry. he loves that thing. runs like a top- needs a couple things worked on but hey, that's expected for a car that's almost 20 years old with 250k on the clock. he got it last year to replace the 88 camry that would not die- the body was so rusted out he had to junk it.

he still has the engine to said 88 camry sitting on his work bench.

with proper maintenance these cars will last a lonnnnnnng time. the highest mileage vehicle that goes to his shop for service has over 500k miles on it and still ticking. well, not ticking, and that's the good thing. ;)

dealerships all conduct their own businesses their own way, and unfortunately like any other area of business, there are some bad ones out there. i'm rather outspoken about finding a good dealer, working with them, and recommending them to others to point business away from the bad places to send a message. if you do experience a bad dealership, loudly complain to toyota regional offices as they're very concerned about their company's image. (if only you could see the video clips they throw in their training modules!)

my old buick and his old saturn were both horror stories... my alternator constantly failed, steering rack had to be replaced when i started feeling the car was unsafe to drive because of bad steering. then it started to up and die on me at 70 mph on the highway, wouldn't start in the morning, and then we finally got rid of it for the prius. his saturn decided to strand him when the timing chain holder snapped and the engine head and valves got completely messed up. obviously we're not thrilled with these things happening and won't be buying anything but toyotas from now on.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    My first and only other Toyota was an 84 Tercel SR5 AWD wagon.

It started rusting about six months after I bought it. I took it in under warranty and said what's up with this? They repainted the rust spots on the hatchback, blaming it on where it was placed on the truck during delivery! I was too young and stupid to question that lie. Whoever has seen a car BACKED UP on a car carrier!

The Tercel literally rusted in half at about 147,000 miles. In fact EVERY Tercel that I ever saw was pretty much rusted in two within five years. Regardless of what Consumer Reports said, I swore off Toyotas for 20 years! So I had plenty of other car brands in the meantime, Hondas, VWs, GMs, including a Pontiac Transport and a wonderful Saturn SL2, both of which were plastic and rust free.

So that was my trepidation when I bought my first Prius in 2004. I was hoping that in 20 years Toyota had improved their body steel as much as the other auto makers had improved their overall build quality.

So far so good!

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I hope Toy. Trucks count...

Years ago I had a 4x4 Tacoma. No reliability problems at all, toward the end though a problem with the valve lifter shaft surfaced. They'd gone to a hollow shaft and it was problems in that model. Or so I was told.

We presently have a '98 Tacoma 4x4, again, the typical Toyota no reliability problems. Do regular maintenance, and let Yoyota do the inspections (they catch ALOT before things become major problems. Thanks Toyota!) for no major problems. The vehicle has maybe 80,000 miles on it. Here (Maine) they rust out before they die from anything other than a crash.

I'm very happy with our local dealership and their shop, Central Maine Toyota in WTVL.

I've been told that Ocean shipped (Japan built) cars rust out really quick. Makes sense. Guess where the Prius is assembled?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4th Toyota in 9 years.

1997 Corolla DX Plus - that car only lasted 30,000kms before someone totalled it by running through an uncontrolled intersection without "slowing down and proceding with caution" It was 3 years old so I supposed it was new by Toyota standards lol.

2000 Corolla LE - replacement to that 97 rolla. I love its spunky little 1.8 litre engine with new-for-2000 VVT-i. I don't recall that many problems with it. I learned to drive in that car. It lasted 3 years and 36,000kms before the new Camry arrived

2002 Camry XLE Pkg "B" - this one had a bit more problems than the Corollas. It had an A/C problem two years ago that left us sweating through summer. The dealer found the solution AFTER the warranty expired. They tried everything but couldn't figure out what's wrong. Problem? it turned out to be a bad wire.... jeez that's why technology does to you. You assume it's computer related. It also had a TSB for a bad washer fluid buoy and a blown heated seat light. Also, each of the 3 brake lights (left, right and centre) all replaced under warranty. It also had a squeaky moonroof but some oiling and it hasn't happened since.

2005 Prius Premium Package - peeling glovebox release button, poorly installed rear mudguard (dealer problem) and the rear bumper wasn't clipped on properly (factory problem). Also my ECU got fried when they did the update.

Dealer Issues: Well I bought the 3 newest Toyotas from the same dealer. They're ok I guess but then again we knew the features of the car before purchasing so it wasn't like the salesman had to say anything really. It's more of the service dept.

When they fried the ECU, they also drained the 12V battery, broke several bits around the cargo area, poorly installed the MFD plastic surround and passenger side A-pillar trim, there was dielectric grease on the tonneau cover and the beige plastic where the vent is for the front small windows is scratched. There's also an oil stain above the dead pedal, there's a broken piece I found on the floor but never figured out where it came from. Btw, my Prius tech didn't know about the manual release for the hatch and somehow charged the battery by climbing through the back seat area.

6. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

I had a 1982 Corolla fast back for 17 years and 197,000 miles. Paid $8,000 new. It finally couldn't pass smog check, I think the pistons were worn since I drove it really hard. CA paid me $500 to crush it. I should have kept it until 2007 and I think it would qualify as an antique and I could possibly forget the smog stuff. With a new engine for $2,000, I could get another 200,000 miles.

A water pump blew shortly after I personally replaced some belts, I think it was my fault. The interior fan for the AC burned out. I called Nippondenso with the part number on the fan motor, and they were just about to send it to me for $12 plus shipping and they noticed that it was a Toyota part only. So it cost me $180. That was before the internet.

Contrast this with the family Dodge. I change oil every 3,000 miles and transmissions every 40,000 miles. But I am brand loyal in that I only replace those trannys with genuine Dodge trannys. We are on our fourth Dodge tranny.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 16 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]240748[/snapback]</div>
    Please stop measuring distances in Kommunist Miles. Use the simpler more generous miles.

Damn kommunist miles are only worth about 2/3 of a real mile. Thank you.

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first car ever was a 79 Toyota (can't remember model name). It had a manual choke and was a work horse until my now ex BF drove into the back of a Camaro. That car started when it was 48 below and not even the folks with block heaters could get their cars started. The master cylinder went out (in an alley) and I had to do some manifold work on it but I was bad about regular maintenance back then.
    After that was my 88 pick up, loved it, my daughter learned to drive stick on it and we never did anything but regular maintenance. mShe drove it until it was stolen from us in 96, jerk!!
    Then I strayed and bought a Hyundai...horrible car. Ended up junking it after some major part went out for the 2nd time, this time after the warranty ran out.
    Then I had my 01 Tacoma double cab. Loved that truck and it gave it's life to protect me from a big, mean chevy.
    Then it was my Sport Trac (which already needed brakes by 26K and no I don't ride the brake!) and now the Prius.
    I would so enjoy a little banger truck like that 88. I think it was my favorite.

Before I had my own Toyota's I drove a Toyota wagon the my brother bought (it was our first and only had a new water pump beyond regular stuff). My dad drove Tercels and my mom loved her Corollas.

Can't wait to grow old with the little Rebel.....

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is my first Toyota (owned 2 Mercedes and a Ford). I was against Toyota for a while as a co-worker almost worshiped the ground they drove on. Then I learned more about their reputation for quality. They do make fine automobiles, but I'll probably get the extended warranty anyway. :)

I just want to say that I got a Toyota because they sold the Prius and not a Prius because it was a Toyota.

9. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1978 Corona - my 1st new car, great car; donkey dealer: John Rose Toyota, self proclaimed 1st Toyota dealer in the US. Anyways, hadn't had the car a week and the rear passenger window literally falls out. Dealer won't warrant so I file a small claim. Had to have a marshall serve him as he wouldn't accept the supoena. We (John, his service mgr, and a guy from Torrance) go to court and I show off my bag of broken glass and lots of polaroids. Open and shut. He appeals to superior court, the judge doesn't even want to see the pictures! The fix is in. I lose and he's awarded court cost. I tell Rose to screw himself. I figure he wasted a 6 labor-days of some high paid people just to avoid a $50 retail warranty. Car lasted 14 years, 200K mi and was stolen. Rose didn't last much longer.

1992 Corolla - another great car; sold it last year after I got the Prius. Taught 2 sons and a niece to drive a stick with it which resulted in the only serious maintenance: a burned out clutch.

Almost forgot my wife's 2002 Highlander. Runs like a top.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

We had a 1996 Avalon XLS. Great car, drove it all over the country with never a problem. Very comfortable. Sad to see it go.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a Camry for a day as a loaner. Compared to the Prius, I didn't like the Camry. Prius is definitely the nicer car.

12. ken_sturrock

ken_sturrock New Member

My Wife's family had an Avalon in the past which they loved. Other people I know love/loved their Toyotas regardless of type.

Our only other Toyota experience is with our 2003 MR2 Spyder. The Spyder is a wonderful car: handles great, fast enough to get out of its own way, good brakes, "interesting" looks, good milage, tremendous fun and seems very reliable so far...

Because we had the Spyder we decided that we needed a "big car" that could carry (other) passengers, our bicycles and canoe and would be better for shopping and traveling on long trips. We decided that the Prius was a great way to have a "big car" and still be socially responsible :p

As for dealers - it is interesting, we have two close at hand. One is in a brand new building, everyone wears spiffy uniforms and clothes, they have an espresso maker for "clients" but they seem confused about the Prius and mostly think the Spyder is some form of Porche. The other dealer is grungy and beat up but they actually bought their very own Prius as a demonstrator that always lives there and is used for rides and they seem to know what they are talking about. That Demonstrator Prius is like an amusement park ride with the lines for it and everything.

-Ken
    06 Seaside Perl Prius
    03 White MR2 SPyder

13. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ravenlocks @ Apr 16 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]240693[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius is Toyota number 4 for me, all purchased from the same dealership. I had each previous car for over 50k miles and thus far, have never had a problem. I have never stalled or needed a tow. The only trips to the dealership have been for routine service. My dealership has always treated me like gold. I will own no other make of car. Enough said.

14. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I LOVE Toyota!

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA, where it's a crime to not "buy American". So in line with what I was taught, I started out driving all the older makes of American cars.

I think I was under the impression until I was about 25 that it was NORMAL to have an oil stain in your driveway and have to carry a box of every fluid in the trunk!!!

Needless to say, when I met my fiancee, he opened my eyes to the world of (shhhh!) Japanese cars!

Since then, we have had numerous Hondas & Toyotas (and even some Nissans now).

Specifically, our Toyotas were:

A 1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Anniversary Edition which I loved to death! I believe I had to have the cruise control thingy replaced and some brake sensor thing under the brake pedal (both covered by my 7 yr/100k mile warranty)

A 1999 Toyota PreRunner pickup which my fiancee loved to death! No problems with this baby, but we traded it in just a mere 1-2 years later on an SUV.

A 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV. This one I wasn't crazy about interior-wise, but it has grown on me. It has a lot of get-up-and-go and has served us well towing and transporting groups of adults. Wish it got better gas mileage. No problems (knock on wood).

A 2005 Toyota Prius #6 which I drive today. I love it, and only had an issue with the driver's door coating peeling off. They replaced the panel and it hasn't done it again. However, I am trading this in on...

A 2006 Toyota Prius #8, now that red & leather are available! Can't comment yet, but I feel this will be just as solid as all my other Toyotas!

Now if someone can JUST figure out that MFD override code... :-\

15. rocco

rocco Member

Toyota gal here. 2 celicas then a landcruiser.

Strayed for a ford windstar before the landcruiser. What a piece of krap that ford was.

back to the toyota -

now the prius.

I have to say not only do the engines last forever - the interior is holds up very well. The seats (at least the cloth ones) are stain resistent and virtually indestructible.

Toyotas look new on the inside much longer than other cars

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is my second Toyota ownership experience, the first being my 2003 Lexus ES300. The Lexus has 68,000 miles on it and has been pretty trouble free. The steering rack was replaced under warranty to alleviate a weird looseness, I've had an A/C relay replaced under warranty, a brake job for free at 20k miles to fix a TSB, and two rattles repaired as TSBs. Runs, drives, and looks as good as the day it came home.

The Prius has had a few issues, including a weird battery charging issue that seems to have rectified itself and a faulty CD changer when it was brand new. The interior hasn't stayed as tight as the Lexus either, but it is a significantly cheaper car...

Now, outside of that my family has had extensive experience with Toyota. My aunt has had 4 Toyota Camrys, and they also had a Toyota Cressida for 10 years and over 150k miles with few issues. My dad had a 1998 Lexus LS400 for 170,000 miles and had one A/C compressor replaced at 70k and the lower ball joints done at 140k and that was all. He now has an 04 LS430 with about 70k and the only issue has been the transmission recall all early 04 LS430s had to have about a year ago.

As far as dealer service, Toyota service is pretty poor in my experience (Lexus is much better, but of course costs a lot more), but it depends on the dealership and the service adjuster.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota dealers never had good rep points. I think they're trying to rectify the problem. I've met some really really good Toyota salesmen. I've also had my share of crappy ones that don't talk to you unless you're gonna buy a car from them. Also it varies within the dealership. I can have one nice salesman and one nasty one both from the same dealer. My experience with Lexus though is uniformly positive.

18. Garlic Capital

Garlic Capital New Member

'85 Corolla, beautiful ride, terrible A/C. Ignition coil replaced at 27K and Toyotay paid for it as well as towing. Sold it at 87K, stil terrible A/C but no problem whatsoever.
    '94 Previa. Sold it at 120K. Nothing broke. Still had original battery and light bulbs.
    '00 Lexus RX300. 87K. No problem whatsoever. Still original brakes :p
    '06 Prius is the latest baby in the family. Loving it. Never knew such a geek car could be so fun to drive.

Among other cars that I own, I also love '00 Suburban. 85K with original brakes. What's with these brakes? Is it because I never use my brakes???

19. Ravenlocks

Ravenlocks New Member

My experience with the salesmen starts out kinda bad, but ends really good....

When I first went to Toyota ;ast december, I was looking at a 2004 Prius that was on the lot. The first salesmen I dealt with didn't seem to have one clue about the car and how it works. To add insult to injury, it was mid Decemeber, and there was a sheet of ice on the windsheild and when he turned on the wipers to get the ice off, one of the blades snapped off. When we went for my test drive, the only dash lights that were on was the MFD and the speedometer. Other wise, everything else was dark. (It was pretty dark outside when I went for this test drive after I got out of work.) I said to the salesmen, "It looks really dark on the front panel here, are you sure nothing else is illuminated on this dash?" He said "No, that is the way it is". After my test drive, I wasn't too thrilled with the whole experience or the car because who ever had it previously, wasn't careful with the interior (stains on the seats and and scratches on the display panels) and for $19,995...I would expect something in very good if not excellent condition. Plus, I am very particular about keeping the inside of my car nice.

So, I waited a month and called Toyota back to find out if they had any other Prius cars in stock. The next salesmen I dealt with was the complete opposite, he had alot of information about the car without being pushy. He gained my confidence instantly. So, after the test drive with a 2005 Prius I decided to order a brand new one, 2006. I put a deposit down January 27, and it arrived when I was visiting England March 20. Everything was smooth sailing from that point and on with sales and service and was really a very satisfying experience.

:) Kim

20. 06DaytonaR/T

06DaytonaR/T New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ravenlocks @ Apr 16 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]240693[/snapback]</div>
    When in NH I bought a new 1980 Toyota SR5 Liftback. I loved the car great style White and black seats. Powder blue with black and white stripes.

I drove her alot for quite a few years. Just put gas in until I sold her. Never a problem.

I had a 78 two door the body went but she was still runing well.

The 2005 is a joy to drive and own.

I think Toyota is a Best Buy Company.

I think Toyota is a member of the BCE club Best Company Ever.

Cheers