1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Explain energy diagram colors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darwin100, Dec 13, 2005.

1. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

can anyone tell me what the difference on the bars is between blue and green and what the salmon (orangish) arrows are vs the pinkish ones?
    thanks

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't typically follow the colors so much as I watch the arrows and the movement of the lines.

Typically, green lines moving indicate power moving from the wheels or the MGs to the battery. Either regenerative braking, ICE charging or cruise charging.

This is where my memory fades on me without actually going out and driving around the block, which I cannot do right now. I believe orange color indicates electrical power and that comes from the battery through, or from the MGs, and to the wheels.

The pinkish colored line indicates ICE power to the MGs and the wheels or battery (but to battery is always green).

Because of my memory right now, please swap pink with orange in the descriptions if necessary.

What really matters is following the source of the lines and the arrow head they have and then associate the color with the energy movement based up which direction the arrows are pointing. This display gives you the grossest and most simplified view of what the car is doing. It is not comprehensive and does not necessarily display all of the vehicle's under hood activities.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the bars on the battery are green then the battery is topped off. You won't see that much unless you've just come down a long decline or have otherwise been able to capture a lot of energy through regen braking. Strangely, you don't want the State of Charge (SOC) to stay that high. Anyways, as the battery discharges the bars will turn to blue and then possibly to a lighter blue (I can never tell if I'm imagining this color or not) then to a purple color and finally red. I've seen the purple once. Never the red. I've hit green a couple of times coming down really long hills.

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Since my recall, battery fry & new battery implant my bars are almost always green. I think my car missed me as much as I missed it.

As far as I know there are only 3 colors: green, blue & pink.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's asking about the energy flow arrows, not the battery level bars. Not that I have an answer, but I just thought I'd clear that up before people went off on a tangent. . .

Edit: Erp. Sorry. My mistake. It appears that (s)he's asking about both.

6. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This rookie is wondering if the headlights, radio, and other accessories can draw power from the large batteries.

Still waiting! My car should arrive mid-January.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

are you asking about the arrows or the bars???

8. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

Both and it is she......
    I now understand the flow and the battery.....what is MGs?

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    MGs are motor/generators, so called because they perform both roles in Prius. There is a key to common acronyms posted...um...at some memorable location in PriusChat. In the knowledge base?