1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Explaining Full Self Driving to a new driver

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 27, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best way to explain Full Self Driving (FSD) to a new driver is "It is a toddler."

PHANTOM BRAKING

[​IMG]
    These often reproducible, uncommanded, sudden braking events are often due to stale Google Maps showing long gone construction zones.

UNCOMMANDED TURNS AND LANE CHANGES

[​IMG]
    Regardless of turn signal or up coming turns, it will insist on turning the wrong way or changing to the wrong lane. It will actually come to the intersection and suddenly, abruptly change lanes in the middle of the intersection.

NAGGING

[​IMG]
    Even if your hand is on the wheel, it is either too light or too heavy and we're not going to let you know where it is in the range. With other cars a half a mile away, you looked at the impossible navigation map too long.

IGNORING OPEN ROADS AND TAKING PRIVATE ROADS

[​IMG]
    Even if the map shows the road, it won't take the shorter route. Instead, it will try to take a private, close road found on the Google Map.

LONGER, HIGHER SPEED ROUTE NOT SHORTCUT

[​IMG]
    Navigation will drive twice as far at twice the speed as taking a slower, more efficient, same time route.

NO MEMORY ... ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

[​IMG]
    Like the movie "50 First Dates," the car has no memory of corrective action or preferred routes. Each drive is a totally new experience with no memory of past problems.

REVERSE POLISH WAY POINTS

If you want to enter way points on a route, use reverse Polish notation. You stack the way points from the destination to your current location.

If you approach FSD like it is a toddler, you'll do OK. A work in progress, it has gotten 'less bad' but still a handful.

Bob Wilson

ColoradoCrow, ammdb and bisco like this.
  2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I’m looking into EAP over FSD mostly cost but I have noticed that Tesla is adding EAP and FSD to older M3 to move them faster and the software upgrade costs them very little if anything. Smart move. I test drive a M3 next week. I hope the seats are comfortable for a long drive and I can make the seat a very upright position. I sat in a Model S 4 years ago and hated it. Granted I didn’t have time to adjust or test drive but the laid back seating hurt my back.

bisco likes this.