1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Explanation of Brake System

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Optimus, May 21, 2008.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've driven my new used 2002 Prius just long enough to know it doesn't have standard vacuum assisted power brakes like "normal" cars do. The brake system is VERY sensative (in a good way for the most part) and is taking a little bit to get used to. But there seems to be 2 components to it, based on pedal feel. The first wee bit of pedal travel has barely any resistance and seems to be an electronic braking, and harder braking seems to be standard hydraulic? I've read discussions of the brake system on the G2's, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the G1's.

I wouldn't say there's a problem with the brakes. They are just, well, different.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See attached three files.

May I suggest that you subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com and download the 2001 New Car Features Manual. This will provide substantial "theory of operations" content not found in the Toyota repair manual.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish that I had the time to read this thread before my dealer told me that I had manual adjust drum brakes. I told him that I did not believe him and almost had to fight my way out of the shop. I have not been back to that dealer since then and have used the auto adjusters to remedy the "trouble" myself without having to pay for service to adjust my brakes. The nut even sent me a letter claiming that the auto adjusters would not hold!

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I offered proof on how the auto-adjusters work. Keeping the
    parts clean will probably help over the long term; if the
    threaded parts rusted they could conceivably stop turning any
    more and thus be unable to adapt to shoe wear, but if that was
    a really common occurrence we probably wouldn't have this sort
    of design in so many cars now.
    _H*

5. DickInBerkeley

DickInBerkeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hola Patrick, can you direct me to a site (Chiltons like) where I can find the wear limits for 2001 Prius rotors?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My wife and I rented a 2001 Prius for three days in 2001 and I noticed the brakes:

• normal operation above 5 mph - we could not detect a change
    • just before stop, a quick increase in drag - just before coming to a complete stop, the brakes seemed to 'grab' but not in an abrupt way ... just a way we could notice
    After 70,000 miles, I can't even detect it. But even after buying the 2003, NHW11, I couldn't really feel it in the 49,000 mile, used Prius. Otherwise, everything is normal.

Bob Wilson

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dick,

techinfo.toyota.com is Toyota's subscription website to obtain repair manual info.

When I sold my 2001 I also sold my repair manuals for that car. However, the North America 2G front disc rotor when new should be 22 mm thick. Minimum thickness is 20 mm. Classic is probably the same but I don't know for sure.

8. Shubin Andrey

Shubin Andrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FRONT BRAKE
    Front brake pad thickness STD 11.0 mm (0.433 in.)
    Front brake pad thickness Minimum 1.0 mm (0.039 in.)
    Front brake disc thickness STD 22.0 mm (0.984 in.)
    Front brake disc thickness Minimum 20.0 mm (0.906 in.)
    Front brake disc runout Maximum 0.05 mm (0.0020 in.)

9. z02prius

z02prius Junior Member

Say I have a leak near the Brake Booster when my Gen I is parked over night or at work during the day. Car stop fine no leaks during driving. Any idea I can not see were the fluid is coming from. I use a bottle a week.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are lucky, there is a loose connector. If not, one of the brake lines is failing. Regardless, it is probably time to have a brake shop take a look at it unless you're willing to 'dig in' to the area and find the fault.

Bob Wilson

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "...use a bottle a week.": It's definitely not safe for you to continue driving the car in its current condition. You need to find and repair that leak immediately. Look for evidence of a brake fluid leak at the following locations:

1. Remove the cowl that runs across the back of the engine compartment (the windshield wiper motor lives in that cowl housing) and then you can see the brake actuator assembly. Inspect the brake fluid reservoir, the brake actuator and the lines leading to it. If the leak is not evident, then proceed through steps 2 - 4 below:

2. Remove the four tires and inspect the flexible brake lines that lead to the front disc calipers and the rear brake wheel cylinders. Also look at the rigid brake lines to the extent that you can see them.

3. Look at the front disc calipers, where the piston comes out of the caliper.

4. Remove the rear drums (they just pull off) and inspect the wheel cylinders. If the drum does not pull off, use a couple of 8 mm bolts threaded into the threaded holes in the drum.

If you can't find the problem, then you should visit your local Toyota dealer for assistance. I would not expect that a regular brake shop would be able to help, if you can't figure out the problem after doing 1 - 4 above. Good luck.