1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exporting Prius power to off grid locations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mmoore, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mmoore

mmoore New Member

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this? Our power goes out regularly, and we wonder if it would be possible to use our 2005 Prius to power a fridge, etc.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a lot of threads on this board about this. Here's a link to the search results when I searched the word "generator" on this board:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Search&...hlite=generator

I seem to recall that there was also information about this on one of the other Prius boards -- PriusOnLine.com.

I also think that there's a publicly available how-to manual of sorts put out by the Prius owner who's the leading or most public practioner of using the Prius as a generator. But I don't remember where I found it -- but I think it's linked somewhere on this board and/or PriusOnLine.com.

EDIT: Also, here's the search results page when I googled "Prius as generator for house" (it shows at least one website that's dedicated specifically to using the Prius as a generator for a house):

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rator+for+house

BTW, I think Toyota might give you problems if you go to it for warranty work related to the hybrid system, and they find out that you used the Prius as a generator for the house -- they'll say something like the Prius battery system wasn't built for that purpose, and that you should have just gone out and purchased a gas powered generator intended, designed and built for that purpose.

Good luck.

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(White Lightning @ Oct 29 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]531840[/snapback]</div>
    You can draw up to 1 kW from the 12VDC system using an off the self inverter:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/priups.html

This is roughly 9A at 110 VAC using a modified sine wave inverter. This is enough to drive our gas furnace fan in the winter or a 5,000 BTU window AC in the summer. I tend not to worry about the fridge since our power outages tend to be less than a day.

Bob Wilson

5. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(White Lightning @ Oct 29 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]531840[/snapback]</div>
    One thing I've found which I think is cool. It's the fact that Toyota themselves are kinda promoting such a thing. See image below which I've found in a Toyota brochure about Hybrid Synergy Drive.

[​IMG]

:)

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Oct 29 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]531892[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't a fridge use less power than a small air conditioner? I'd rather know the chicken and fish in the fridge isn't growing salmanella (sorry bout spellin)

7. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(White Lightning @ Oct 29 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]531840[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. If you want to see how Toyota does it, and you have IEEE technical paper access, you can read a paper entitled "Development of Ultra Low-Cost, High-Capacity Power Generation System Using Drive Motor and Inverter for Hybrid Vehicle." It's pretty specific.