1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exposed Wipers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ajc, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the Prius is one of the most aero dynamic cars on the road then why did the brilliant engineers leave the wipers exposed?? :confused: The wipers are exposed which causes drag, why not extend the hood and tuck the wipers under the hood? This would make the Prius look much cleaner and cut the drag down.

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You are making the assumption that the wipers break the airflow over the front of the car. But this is not necessarily the case. It depends on the hood and windshield design also.

I've never noticed the "parked" wipers being buffeted by the wind passing over them. So I think that they have a minor effect on the overall CD.

On my G2 I really like the fact that I can fully pivot the wipers up to clear the windshield, clean the wiper blades, etc. On all other cars that I've owned or driven with "concealed" wipers, they cannot be pivoted up without opening the hood.

Also, trying to clear heavy snow from the cowling area surrounding concealed wipers is more difficult, as is trying to free them from heavy ice.

So I like the Prius' wiper arrangement just the way that it it.

3. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think this is a valid point, and I wondered the same. My guess is it is a cost-cutting measure more than anything.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's more practical than cost cutting. There is a "dead air" space at the base of the windshield. So the "exposed wipers" have no effect on aerodynamics. They -are- actually aero shielded by the plastic piece at the base of the windshield as well.

If you tucked them under the hood snow and ice can jam them. It becomes difficult to clean the area with the hood in the way. It also is difficult to change/clean the wipers. You have to open the hood and then it's in the way too. I've dealt with govt motors under-the-hood wipers. Yuck.

While we are at it, windshield washer fluid dispenser jets -on- the wipers are NOT a "good thing". The rubber hoses rot quickly, the fluid freezes inside them easily. They are also more trouble than they are worth, except for a few places in the world.

Let the wipers be free! ;)

3 people like this.
  5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two Thumbs Up to DavidBeale's reply.

I live (obviously) in a very snowy climate. I have found that with the past few "heavy" snows we had that the Wipers are designed without much affect on Coefficient Drag.

Reason being, is driving at high speeds (60-65) the light snow laying in the well below the wipers does not appear to be affected. It will remain in place. If there was sufficient Drag, the snow would be affected at those speeds.

Also, in the winter, having the blades be completely below the windshield/top hood area, would allow them to freeze, and open up many more issues. With the heavy wet snow then sub freezing temps last night, I was able to turn on the wipers without "digging" them out.

Now if Toyota would warm the windshield washer fluid I would like that! Also so far the LED Headlamp washers have not frozen even in this extreme cold. They are a blessing for the salt spray from the road and improve visibility dramatically without standing outside and freezing you...You know what off! ;)

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had hidden wipers way back in the day on a Buick Regal. They PISSED me off for the very reasons given above.

7. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess industry leading drag coefficient isn't good enough for some people.

8. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you don't have anything worth while to add then don't. :rolleyes:

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had to deal with freezing washer fluid today. 27 years of the blue stuff, and this it the first car that has had the nozzles freeze over, looks like there's no wind to blows the excess dribble off the nozzles. Bummer. Now I gotta buy the "expensive" stuff.

10. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So what one do YOU use that is better at not freezing?? Like to hear what you use....:confused:

11. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    message to YOU:

If you don't have anything worth while to add then don't.

...His comment was worthwhile and correct.

12. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :focus: OK :rolleyes: I guess this made you feel important.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing that what Texas911 is saying is Toyota have managed to beat all comers with regard aerodynamic drag so one might assume they know a thing or two about the art or science of aerodynamic drag minimisation. If there was any value in hiding the wipers at the trailing edge of the bonnet or parking them up the A pillars Toyota would have considered doing this.

There is a boundary layer of air which sticks to the body of the vehicle which moves little, this layer is thicker at the forward facing parts of the car. It can even be shown that the shape of the front of the car is much less important that the rear when it comes to aerodynamics. I suspect the wipers are in this boundary layer when parked. Did you ever wonder why Toyota chose to park the rear wiper almost vertically up the rear screen? Because it is up there Toyota had to make it look good with plastic covers therefore spending more!

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As David said, they're not exposed. The air flows over it. Ask ES owners if they like their wipers. it's tucked underneath and it needs to be "pushed up" into "winter mode" so that ice doesn't form and freeze the wipers. It's more of a hassle in that respect.

15. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That makes sense.