1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EXPRESS UP WINDOW DANGER!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by subjective, Oct 3, 2012.

1. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Today as I started to exit on the front passenger side, I noticed the express power window was down about 2 to 3 inches. I lifted the express window switch with my left hand and with my right hand held the top of the door to steady it. Even with my left hand index finger on the switch, the window moved so fast, after I released it, in the express mode it did not stop and caught the middle finger of my right hand in which the pressure was so great I thought it was going to cut my finger off. I immediately pushed the switch down. Under high pressure against my finger by the window, the window lift did not stop. I was home in my driveway fortunately and was able to get to and apply ice soon. If a child or anyone ever caught their neck in this window going in the up express position, they would have a high probability of being killed. Certainly great injury could happen to hands, fingers and arms. I will have the dealer check window operation and specification. Remember even though the window switch is released the fast moving window does not stop unless the switch is reversed. If it hits resistance it should stop but this window did not.

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear that but why would you have another hand up there when you are closing the window?

I usually lock out the other 3 windows for safety reasons and so a passenger does not accidentally leave a window cracked open and catch rain...

3. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, my other hand was still by the switch in which I was able to immediately reverse the switch position. It was just that fast. Express up windows are dangerous when they do not stop when they hit resistance. They should actually reverse when they are in going up position and hit resistance. A garage door safety design works in the going down movement and reverses when it hits resistance. This anomaly put a deep gouge in my finger but the immediate ice helped. Its a good thing that I got to the reverse down switch immediately.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine stops and lowers to halfway if it meets an object like my arm...my friends always play with it when I drive places.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When this came up before: Window chopped off my dog's tail!, I did a test with a pencil, and was not fully comforted by the results. See posts 22 and 28.

Now it is time to re-rest with my 2012.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A finger or pencil will experience or get higher pressure per square inch than a hand or arm.
    Sorry you were hurt, but yes, it's painful when you close a window on your finger!

But it is supposed to reverse immediately when you actuate the switch. If it didn't you should test it with a piece of wood (so it won't break the window). It should also reverse when it hits an obstruction, but this may not happen so near the top. Faults in the auto-stop feature are discussed at length in the owners manual, and they clearly state if there is -any- suspicion it isn't working safely -take it to the dealer immediately-.

You can also perform a "calibrate function" as per the owners manual. Perhaps you should do this first, then test it with a piece of wood. If it still appears to not be working safely, take it to the dealer!

7. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its going to the dealer tomorrow but they probably can not service it till the first of next week. It is not working properly and I want to give a heads up to others, especially those with children.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like the anti-pinch mechanism is faulty. Could be as simple as reinitializing it (can do it yourself--instructions might be in owners manual, or search here), or perhaps a replacement part.