1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Battery warranty by Toyota

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lschuste, Nov 18, 2005.

1. lschuste

lschuste Junior Member

The Prius battery warrenty in cars sold in California is now 10 years 150,000miles. Toyota customer service told me this on 11/15/05. :D :D :D :D

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

:huh: Why would it be just California?

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It has been that way since 2004 model came out. I don't know about the pre-2004 model.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unless I win the lottery, my car needs to last 6 years. That's about 120,000 miles. If I can get 10 years out of it, all the better, but that's 200,000 miles.

I understand there's no difference between CA and SC batteries, just a CA warranty requirement. I expect mine to last, but after that 150,000 mark all bets are off...

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 150k - 10 year warranty is part of requirements to meet PZEV (partial zero emission vehicle). The California Air Resources Board does this in an effort to improve air quality - mobile emissions (vehicles) are by far the major contributor to particulate matter and smog. The effort is also in working toward a percent of vehicles in California to be ZEVs (zero emission vehicles).

6. RonM

RonM New Member

There are other states that adopt the California requirements, including the definition of AT-PZEV. Presumably, that means the 10 year warranty applies to them as well, but I do not know that for a fact.

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Right, I believe New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut and Rhode Island also adopted the California emission requirment.

8. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I hope so. Otherwise, I may just have to buy in California....

9. NotFuelish

NotFuelish New Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the sales people are clueless about this even though it's clearly stated in the "Prius Owner's Warranty Information" booklet. My salesman at Ventura Toyota told me it was 8 years 100,000 miles. The booklet states 10 years 150,000 miles in California.

10. NotFuelish

NotFuelish New Member

Page six of my Prius Owner's Warranty Information booklet states the following about the 10 year 150,000 warranty for the Hybrid Vehicle Battery:

"Also applies to Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System. Vehicles covered by this warranty are also covered by the Federal Emission Control Warranty."

11. habel

habel New Member

In Norway, where I live, the warranty is 8 years.

I must say I am pleased with that, as it covers all of the parts related to the hybrid system, and I am not planning to keep the car for more than 5 or perhaps 6 years. Also, the warranty of any other car over here is 3 years... :)

12. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

How does one know if their Prius is equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System? I live in NY and bought my car last week.

13. craigcush

craigcush Member

I was told from toyota corp. it applies to residency, not point of purchase.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Within the US (at least), all Prius have the same emissions control. But the content of sulfur in fuel varies widely. Prius' emissions are higher when drinking sulfur, and (just maybe) the catalysts or oxygen sensors will have a shorter life.

Same car, different diet, potentially different results after 100k miles.

Reductions in fuel sulfur have already been regulated, but there seems to be some foot-dragging in getting it implemented. Plus a distinct lack of information on the progress of the program!

PS: Congrats on new Prius.