1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Idling

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by m8547, Sep 27, 2024 at 6:21 PM.

1. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a 2018 Prime with around 60,000 miles. Probably 80% of my driving is EV mode, so the engine lives a pretty easy life. In the past few months I've noticed a few times where it idles for an extended amount of time. I'm not talking about the warm-up cycle, and it's been warm/hot here so it's not a cold weather thing. I use the Hybrid Assistant app to monitor it. Occasionally it's the Idle Check cycle, but at least once it wasn't. The engine will just stay on at 900-1000 RPM for a few minutes when it should otherwise be able to go into EV mode (warm enough, light or no throttle demand, etc). I guess it's not a big problem, but does it indicate some kind of issue I should be looking for? I've also had a few rougher than normal engine starts, if that means anything.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the same thing was happening on my 2012. i suspect it is because the engine runs so infrequently and often for very short periods of time.
    an italian tune up cured it, and it might have been the egr, idk.
    gen 4 egr is different, so i'm not sure if it is the same problem.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Primes are pretty sophisticated. Second guessing what the Prime does with EV while in HV mode is near impossible. especially if driver is looking closely at how efficiently the systems handle switch overs that you / we / us think could have should have bin done differently. Sure, if you really want to get a feel for how the car actually handles EVERYTHING it (the car) gets exposed to over its lifetime, (don't forget history data here), monitoring at slower than normal speed with no traffic or other driver distractions, provides insights most drivers never ever never see.
    Once those stats get confirmed by both trial and error as well as getting reproduced enough times for a driver to be comfortable adding them to the base stats, its way easier to adjust them to normal and rush hours type situations.
    I'm always second guessing the Primes behavior, especially when the car is doing something I think could be done more efficiently to meet() (my personal needs). That's my (problem), not the Primes !

#3 vvillovv, Sep 28, 2024 at 1:39 AM
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2024 at 1:45 AM