1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty for Hawaii

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marie131, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Marie131

Marie131 New Member

The factory extended warrranty offered via this website does not apply to Hawaii. Does anyone know of a dealership in Hawaii offering below MSRP on the extended warranty?

2. poidog

poidog New Member

Is there any way to get a Toyota extended warranty for a 2006 Prius without going through Servco Hawaii (for Oahu, Hawaii)?

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you buy your Prius from Servco? I'm not sure how they would honor the discounted Toyota warranty. I just decided to get the extended warranty Servco offers since it is fully refunded if you don't use it. I don't think the discounted one offers that option.

In the past I think I got better service out of Servco on my Toyota truck (bought through Servco) than my Camry which I shipped over from the mainland.

4. gbatzer

gbatzer Guest

Mahalo Koa!

I am buying my Prius from Servco. I would like to support Prius Chat if I could (and get a much better price) with Troy's extended warrenty if it is available here in Hawaii.
    poidog

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I just checked my agreement and it says "not good outside USA or Canada" Does not say anything about contiguous 48, does not exclude Alaska or Hawaii or for that matter other parts other the United States. I think some one is pulling you leg. It has been that dealers, in the sales and finance areas might not always be exactly truthful. I would call the Prius Chat dealer, and Toyota. What if I moved Belle to Hawaii? Am I not covered? The piece of paper I have says I am until you all succeed from the US. I would really rather you would not I kind of like Hawaii and would miss you if you were gone. I also have a coin that I got when I visited in the year you became a state and I would hate to think it was worthless because Hawaii was not a State. :(

6. poidog

poidog New Member

Thank you for the information. I think the issue is that Totyota doesn't sell that warranty in Hawaii (at least according to the website). But if you live elsewhere and move, I guess they will accept it. I have been waiting to see what Troy has to say...
    poidog hawaii usa

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was at Toyota City in Mapunapuna to pickup my plates. While I was there I asked the service guys and a lady named Patty (handles extended warranties) about the mainland Toyota Care extended warranty. Here's what I was told but you should confirm before you decide to purchase.

Servco WILL honor the third party extended Toyota Care warranty purchased from a mainland authorized dealer. There will be a possible delay for warranty work since they must first get authorization from that third party to do the work. Patty said the Toyota Care is not a factory warranty but a third party warranty that is authorized/endorsed by Toyota.

The warranty Servco sells for $1750 is a Servco warranty through a third party only available if you buy the car from them, it cannot be added to a mainland car brought over here. The portion that allows you to receive a full refund if you don't use it is NOT transferable. So if you sell your car before the warranty expires you can cancel the warranty and get a prorated portion back. The prorated amount starts from the FIRST year, not from when the factory Toyota warranty expires. So if you sell your car after two years you lose 2/7 of the $1750 or $500.

It seems the mainland warranty is a better deal especially if you are not considering keeping your car the full 84 months/100,000 miles. Personally I think you will get slightly better service with the Servco warranty but on a major repair it might not make any difference since they will probably have the car for a few days anyway.

With the Servco warranty you have a choice not to use it and pay for small repairs out of your own pocket with the hope of getting the full refund. This warranty does not start until the factory warranty has expired.

8. poidog

poidog New Member

Darn! I just picked the car up on Saturday and bought the (overpriced) warranty from Servco. I hope that the better service will equal the extra dollars.
    poidog

9. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

After reading this thread, I am considering the ToyotaCare warranty through PriusChat, instead of extra Servco dollars. Is there anyone else with more recent experience or comments? Would I be the first ToyotaCare warranty in Hawaii (hard to imagine).

10. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

I have sold several plans to people in Hawaii. According to Toyota Financial Services, coverage is good in Hawaii. The problem is that Servco is not part of Toyota USA and so is not obligated to honor the warranty. So it's kind of up to them as to whether or not they want to file the claim or not, and every time I have spoken to someone from Servco I get a different answer, so I gave up on that end. But the bottom line, is worst case....you would have to pay for the repair out of pocket and then apply for a reimbursement from Toyota. I personally don't think it will be a problem, they just aren't familiar with Toyota Financial since they don't do business in Hawaii, and so they assume it's some kind of 3rd party warranty plan. Also, I highly recommend that anyone from Hawaii talk to both their local dealer as well as Toyota Financial prior to purchasing, since those are the people you will be dealing with when it comes time for a claim.

FYI...The plans being offered are Toyota factory plans, regardless of what someone from Servco tells you...Here is Toyota Financial Service's backround info right from their website:

Company Background

Since opening its doors in 1983, Toyota Financial Services (TFS) has grown from a small company with eight associates to become the third largest captive finance company, and the eighth largest finance company in the United States.* TFS currently employs over 3,000 associates nationwide, and has managed assets totaling $50 billion.

The Toyota Financial Services brand identity was launched in December 1999. TFS is a service mark that acts as an umbrella brand name used to market the products of Toyota Motor Credit Corporation (TMCC) and Toyota Motor Insurance Services, Inc., (TMIS). TMCC was incorporated in California on October 4, 1982, and commenced operations in May 1983 by approving a finance contract for a used Toyota Corolla in Denver, Colorado. The company provides retail and wholesale financing, retail leasing, vehicle protection plans and certain other financial services to authorized Toyota and Lexus dealers as well as Toyota Material Handling dealers, and their customers in the United States (excluding Hawaii).

TFS is part of the worldwide financial services operations for Toyota Financial Services Corporation (TFSC), which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) in Japan. TFS has three Regional offices, three Customer Service Centers, 30 Dealer Sales and Service Offices throughout the United States, and one branch office in Puerto Rico.

Troy

11. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    this is just the thread i've been looking for. i too have been on the run around about whether or not to purchase the warranty via Troy. my main problem with the servco warranty is that it won't be honored in the mainland, and i will most likely move and ship my prius to the mainland i 2-3 years. being able to buy via Troy will solve my problem.

so did anyone in hawaii who bought the warranty from Troy have any problem with Servco?

just bumping... anyone?