1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty Gold Package?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrisray12, Mar 7, 2011.

1. chrisray12

chrisray12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I just picked up my certified 2008 Prius that on the sticker at my local Toyota Dealership comes with a 3month 3,000 mile warrantee. So I opted to buy the Gold extended warranty package for 1,400. I wanted some coverage but was not going to pay 2,500 for the platinum plan. I get a 6 year or 100,000 mile warranty. Then I am reading on here that Prius comes with a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty that is fully transferable from previous owner. Then I am trying to do some research as to what exactly I get with the "Gold Package," and I can find nothing.

Did I just get taken by the local Toyota guy? What exactly is the "Gold Package? For the price should I have gone 3rd party?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Source for the bolded section?

I can't speak to the extended warranties, but new 2nd gen Priuses (04 to 09) didn't come with a 6 year/100K mile warranty. There's a 3 year/36K mile basic warranty, 5 years/60K miles on the powertrain and a bunch of others (like 10 years/150K miles on the HV battery in CA and other CARB states). Check your warranty booklet for all the details. The 3/36 and 5/60 warranties are standard for Toyota branded new vehicles.

If you bought a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle (TCUV), it'd include the warranty at Toyota Certified Used Warranty.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you got taken. If possible get a refund for the extended warranty and apply the amount to the loan balance (if any; if not put it back in the bank).