1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty - I just bought it with the car, can I return it and buy it later?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Sep 29, 2009.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my Certified PreOwned Prius yesterday and also purchased the extended warranty (7 years/100,000 miles). I know I was being somewhat suckered. What I didn't know was;

1. Could I have bought the warranty anytime within the 3 years/36,000? (or did it have to be at the same time as the car purchase) - they didn't explain this well.
    2. If this is the case, can I return it? (I remember briefly mentioning they can refund the warranty)
    3. And then if I decide to buy it again, within the 36,000 miles/3 years, will it be the same price or more expensive or what?

2. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

From what I have been reading here, yes, you can buy it up to just before that 36 mo, and 36k mi. And, you should be able to get your full money back in the first 30 days. And, just before the end, if you still want it, buy it here for way less.:D

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. However, I've decided to keep it for peace of mind and lack of hassle. At my dealership it costed me $1630.

How do you buy the warranty "here" however? (This is a store?) I thought you could only buy it from the dealership. Then, would it be considered a 3rd party extended warranty? or is it the legit Platinum Coverage or whatever?