1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty on Certified PreOwned?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by camner, Aug 18, 2010.

1. camner

camner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just bought a certified preowned 2007 (1st put in service in late 2006, so it's nearly 4 years old). Love the car!

At the dealership I was offered a Platinum Extended Warranty to "wrap around" the 7/100K powertrain warranty for $1200. Seemed high, so I passed on it, figuring I'd ask Troy to quote, only to learn that for used vehicles, the extended warranty must be purchased from the dealer that sold the car. Interesting...

I know the pros and cons of extended warranties (obviously they are priced to make $$ for the company selling the warranty), but I wonder what a "reasonable" or "fair" price should be for the privilege of getting the extended warranty for 3 years (since the car is nearly 4 years old). I wouldn't be likely to hit anywhere close to 100K in that time. I presume the price of these things is negotiable at the dealer, just like nearly everything else.

2. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought an 08 Certified Prius with the Platinum Toyota 7/100k comprehensive warranty for $895. The finance manager gave it to me for that price because she knew I worked in the auto warranty business. Try to negotiate with them. You will find mixed opinions on Priuschat about buying an extended warranty, but I like the piece of mind. I also drive all over the state for work, and don't always have the luxury of my garage and tools handy to fix it myself.

3. chris easdon

chris easdon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just got a used 2007 prius with extra 100k mile waranty for $800

regular price was $1200 as you stated, same warranty plan