1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty opinions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GigaTigga, Nov 16, 2010.

1. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping to get some peoples opinions on an extended warranty deal that has become avalible to me on my prius I recently bought. Its an 05 with a little over 106k miles. The warranty would be 1300 dollars for 2 years 24k miles and would cover the power train only, apparently not covering hybrid components. It doesn't sound like a great deal but I guess maybe I don't know what kind of failure rates to be expecting of the engine and transmission within the next 2 years. Any opinions on this warranty?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bet it's a huge waste of money, and would not cover the electric motors in the trans ect ect.

i'm going to have to say if you have over 100k there is no warranty company that will cover or if they do repair it if it brakes down.

Save your money in a savings account :) then you can par for a repair. Or have a down payment if something major happens.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your better off playing $1300 at Vegas!

4. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's kinda steep for a 2 year (very) limited warranty. I'm also guessing it's not a Toyota warranty. 3rd part warranty companies have a habit of going belly-up shortly after taking your money!

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a complete waste of money. If you borrowed money to buy the car use this to help pay off the loan faster. Otherwise put it in a bank.

6. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyones replies, I kinda thought that would be the recomendations, I'm gonna save the cash and put it towards a rainy day :)