1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extended warranty poll

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Jul 25, 2008.

?
  1. purchased ext. warr. from dlr when I bought prius

31 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Will pick up ext. warr. from dlr when basic coverage expires

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Will pick up ext. warr. from source other than dlr when basic coverage expires

34 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. will roll the dice and not get extended warranty because prius's high degree of reliability

30 vote(s)
    28.0%
  5. will sell car before basic runs out to get new model

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Already out of basic warr. with no option to buy extended but so far no problems

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Out of basic warranty, didn't get extended and have paid dearly for repairs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very simple. These are options I've mulled around in my mind so I guess others of you have had similar thoughts. Maybe this poll will help tap into the prius collective consciousness then again it may just be another waste of everyone's time.

The response for choice number 3 may needs some clarification - it implies that you'd be picking up the actual toyota extended warranty from a source other than the dealer from which you bought the car. Boo pointed out that the wording could mistakenly imply buying a 3rd party (non-toyota) product.

Thanks in advance for your participation - Steve

2. rwa46

rwa46 Pilot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what options have you had in your mind? are you asking are extended warranties a good choice or not?

3. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bought mine from dealer for 1000 bucks.
    Worried about all of the electronics in Prius.
    Kicker is full refund if not used.
    Unless something drastic happens I will pay for repairs oop.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to wait until the basic warranty nears expiration before I decide whether to get the extended warranty (and which one to get in terms of years/miles).

If you can, you should probably add this choice to the poll.

5. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same reason as penbed. Mine is non refundable, but from past experiences (loaded Venture Chevy van) it pays for itself

6. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo - your suggestion is understood and well taken but unfortunately, I can't modify or don't know how to modify the polling section.. If someone knows how, I'll give it a try and add your suggestion.

7. rwa46

rwa46 Pilot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my own opinion is the same as every consumer interest group for every product. don't buy them. there are of course times they paid off but the vast majority are a waste of your money. In 46 years or car ownership (62 years old) with all of my cars bought new and with over 100,000 miles at trade in have never had a problem.always doing require maintenance

8. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also agree with rwa66, I would not buy and extended warranty. Keep your car in good shape and watch for any problems that may come up.

9. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No ext warrenty on the Jag, life was hell after 45K. Dealer didn't get the whole sentence out of his mouth before I said YES.

10. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about this option???? Bought extended warranty from Priuschat after taking delivery of car because it was a great deal?

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good catch.

Generally speaking, if one were to get the extended warranty, PriusChat (Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA) is the place to get it -- $990 for Toyota Platinum Care, 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 Deductible; and even lower prices for fewer years and/or miles.

But I think OP is really asking whether you will be getting the Toyota extended warranty as opposed to a third party extended warranty?

12. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I wasn't considering any 3rd party non-toyota plans when I put the the poll together. I was just polling to see who was buying the platinum plan from providers like troy instead of dealer from which they bought their vehicle.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that. I didn't read the questions and the initial post carefully enough.

BTW, I ended up voting to buy the extended warranty from souce other than dealer when my basic warranty runs out, because I'm presently leaning toward getting the extended warranty and if I do, I will definitely get it from Troy. It's the lowest price in town, and helps to support this great forum.

14. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    told the dealer i knew a guy who would sell me the extended third-party for "under $1000" so he said "name your price."

yes, I tried "free" but that didn't work. i think under 900 was a good deal... :)

15. Garrymon

Garrymon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I got lucky. Harrelson Toyota in Rock Hill,SC offered free lifetime warranties on all cars in May when I ordered mine.They also had free tires for life that same month:) Some Toyota dealers offer this time to time and it is something I would ask about if your looking to buy one anytime soon. It is only and extension of the standard Toyota power train warranty but still...I now have much less to worry about.

16. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting - it looks like 2/3 of the respondents already purchased or plan to purchase an extended warranty plan.

18. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it interesting that only 1/3 or respondents have purchased the extended. Another 1/3 will not buy it and the other 1/3 will get it after the basic expires. Another way of looking at the data suggests that 2/3 of those participating in poll only have basic coverage at this point in time.

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the discounted Priuschat extended warranty, too. Note: For those who don't know about it, here is the info.

I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

20. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Once my regular warranty expires, I may get the extended warranty from a reliable source. I need to ask myself, when does my regular warranty actually expires?

I know my Hybrid battery has a warranty of 8 years or 100K miles. I will need to check my owner's manual to verify.