1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nopqrs, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nopqrs

nopqrs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm looking to buy a 2010 Prius, and as an aside was asking a local dealer how much they charge for the Platinum 7/100K warranty. He quoted me a much higher retail price than the Toyota MSRP (with a "discount" off that high retail price that's still higher than MSRP), and said that his finance guy says the MSRPs on the Toyota website are "national prices" and that the warranty cost in California is higher due to higher cost of labor. (He did say he'd match the Toyota MSRP once I asked him about this.)

I'm guessing this is BS, but am curious whether there's any truth to warranty prices being higher in different states. I probably won't buy the warranty from the dealer in any case (at least not right now), but if I'm being completely lied to it might make me not want to buy the car from this dealer anyway :)

2. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He was not telling you the truth. You can purchase a Toyota warranty for $1055.00 which is 7 year/ 100K mile coverage right here through PriusChat. Here is the link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...rius-extended-warranty-service-contracts.html

3. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would not buy a car from that dealer. If he is willing to lie on that what else is he going to screw you on? Just my 2cents and probably not worth even that.

G

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey with the higher labor costs in California, that is possibly 3 cents worth out there. But maybe they'll take an IOU for that too?

5. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not sure how far away she is from you. But you should go see Dianne who is a dealer in CA. And frequent poster on Prius Chat.

6. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The finance guy wjere I bought mine tried to pressure me into a $2300 for a 7yr 100K mi. When he got it to $1080 I bought it.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do realize that you'll probably never get that money back, right?

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! Someone from Piedmont; my old home town!

Yeah; as others have said, you can get it much cheaper here (through Priuschat and a dealer in western MA). I don't know if this dealer is being any more dishonest than any other dealer; they're all trying to make money and the extended warranty is one of the biggest money makers out there. Is it good that they're lying to try to get more money out of you? Obviously not. However, this is one of the ways that dealerships make money and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to screw you on other things; just be a smart consumer.

9. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "and said that his finance guy says the MSRPs on the Toyota website are "national prices" and that the warranty cost in California is higher due to higher cost of labor."

I briefly worked for a Toyota dealership like this one. All I can say is, Run far and run fast.

G