1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigtal, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bigtal

bigtal New Member

Hello,

I am going to buy a prius tomorrow and i want to know if i should get the extended warranty. I saw some posts on here about "Troy" who is he and what warranty does he sell?

Are all extended warranties the same? Are they worth the price?

Thanks,

Dave

2. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

I purchased an extended warranty on my last three cars and in each case paid over $1000 for coverage that was less in duration and mileage than the Toyota warranty Troy sells for $990. In my situation, I saved money every time. When I purchase a car, I usually get the higher end options such as NAV, auto air, theft deterrent system, upgraded sound, etc., and these systems tend to be costly to repair; not to mention the cost of major engine or transmission failures.

The way I look at it, I prepaid $990 worth of repair costs that might occur between year 3 and 7 (or between mile 36,001 and 100,000) when I purchased the Toyota factory extended warranty from Troy; I also have the assurance that I will pay no more, other than standard maintenance costs. I feel the Toyota extended warranty is well worth it. I had about $3500 worth of repair costs which were covered on my last vehicle. This included replacement of the CD changer/computer head, bearing failure and auto AC repairs. I saved about $2000 by purchasing the extended warranty.

The Prius is very high tech and I understand it has up to 20 or more computer modules. I think the MFD head alone has a replacement cost of over $2000. I can also imagine the high costs to repair the ICE, electric motor and CVT on this vehicle. I would highly recommend purchasing the Toyota extended warranty, especially if you have one of the more expensive option packages.

On extended warranties; Troy works for a dealership in MA and sells the same Toyota extended warranty (7 yr/ 100,000 mile) that your dealer will try to sell you. He can be contacted through the "PriusChat Offers" on the left side of the home page. I don't think many dealers will meet Troy's price. They usualy sell this warranty for about $1600 (MSRP) and may come down a bit from that price. My dealer would go no lower than $1250.

Also note that you do not need to purchase an extended warrany right away (although your dealer may try to convice you this is not the case). You can wait close to the end of your 3 yr / 36,000 mile standard warranty and still get the same extended warranty. The only negative; if you do this, you are risking a possible price increase at that time.

Rick S

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just drop an email to [email protected] with your contact info and Troy will get in contact with you.