1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kcrocker, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kcrocker

kcrocker New Member

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but i did not easily find this answer when searching.

just picked up my '07 prius last night. curious what this board's view is wrt extended warranty? is it really needed? how have this generation of prius (prii ?) fared in the out years. i'll put between 10 and 15k miles per year on the car.

thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, if you chose to buy it look at the "Prius Accessories" drop-down at the top right of this forum page...you'll be hard pressed to find a better price than through this site...and if you buy here you'll be helping support this site.

Next, I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my '04, I'm glad I did. It's had some issues with the MFD...mine was still under my 3/36 warranty when it happened, but several others were out of that and had not purchased the extended warranty. I like that I have the security of the ext. warr. to cover the other techy features such as Bluetooth, NAV, SKS, etc. That said, very few problems have been reported with any of those systems.

Now, the MFD issues have been fixed (apparently), there haven't been many significant issues with any of the other components either. So it's very unlikely that you'll ever need to use the extended warranty...if you don't that's $1000 down the toilet. OTOH, if you do have the SKS computer fry at 40k miles you're looking at $1500 or more to get it fixed and you'd be money ahead w/ the warranty.

My personal philosophy with extended warranties, in general, is that I don't buy them. Today's products are so reliable that they rarely die. If I do have one of them go bad it's unlikely that the repair or replacement cost will exceed what I would have spent if i'd have purchased a warranty for each and every it I purchased. I'm convinced that, in the long run, I'm saving money not getting them. I do have the financial where withall to afford a $3000 repair if necessary, if you can't then it may make more sense to purchase the extended warranty to avoid a serious one-time financial hardship later.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Saxman @ Jun 18 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]464011[/snapback]</div>
    You can buy the extended warranty just before the factory bumper-bumper coverage expires. I'll hope it'll be available through this site at that time because it's the cheapest I have found and my impression is that unlike other dealers which will sell the extended warranty after the car is used, this site does not require a visual inspection to purchase it. I'll buy it then.