1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggalanti, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I've been reading the postings about the Extended Warranty (7 year, 100,000 mile), but I'm a bit confused. I just placed an order for a new Prius at a Toyota dealership in Southern California. They told me that the Prius comes with and 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid parts, and 5 years, 60,000 miles on the (power train?). So do I need a warranty? The price they quoted me (before tax) with Option 6 was $26,480, which they said was MRSP. I don't think that includes an extended warranty. I'm confused. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Also, if there IS a reason to get one, I'm getting the impression that I can get it from anywhere and it will be honored by the service center of the Toyota dealership near by house. Is that correct?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please take a look at This thread It should answer all your questions and more.

BTW, this was originally posted in "sponsored commercial" forum...that is just for commercial sponsors who have paid a fee to sell a product.

3. Jim Biggs

Jim Biggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is one reason:
    I understand the touch screen is about $3,000 to replace. It only comes with a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty.
    Jim

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That the big reason I bought the 100,000 mi warranty all the other parts like the screen and (I understand) 5 different computers and who knows what else that costs a fortune

5. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

To the original poster:
    I was in the same position. They tried to sell me the extended prior to me even knowing what was covered. I had been sold on getting one, but declined at the time, knowing I could get one later. After finding out all the hybrid stuff is covered, I bailed on the warranty. My previous toyota experience show them to be reliable, so I'm taking my chances. I was mostly worried about all the hybrid stuff. Maintenance seems to be no biggie as well.