1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PLRDad, Mar 1, 2009.

1. PLRDad

PLRDad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased a 2009 prius in November and liked it so much decided to get another but preowned this time. Found a 2005 with 60,000 miles for $12,600. Carfax good, dealer records for regular service. Eligible for extended warranty 7year/100,000 miles. Given I drive under 10,000 miles per year, I am likely to run out of time before I run out of miles. The dealer has agreed to $997 for the warranty.

Have refused the warranty until now but should make a decision soon

What would you suggest.

Thanks
    Randy

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying a used Prius is one of the very few times I might buy an extended warranty. It's awfully hard to be certain that nothing bad ever happened to the car under its previous owner. If it was in any sort of accident almost anything could have been broken and not correctly repaired. Read the warranty carefully and understand what is and is not covered.

3. PLRDad

PLRDad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for your comment. I am truly torn about the best choice here. I have read about the various expensive electronic problems (MFD, speedo display, and coolant pump) associated with aging cars and thought that an extended warranty would be a good choice in this case. On the other hand the reliability of the Prius is second to none.

By the way the new car is my wife's and the used one is a first car for my son. I drive a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon. I do most maintinance and repair on it but the Prius is a different animal.

Randy