1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tucwebb, May 27, 2009.

1. Tucwebb

Tucwebb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    Is anyone purchasing the extended warranty? Is it necessary? Is there a deadline for purchasing the warranty? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I did see a thread here on PC which spoke of the extended warranty but it was a few years old and I'm not sure if the information still applies or if things have changed. Thanks all for your help and advice.

2. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can buy an extended warranty up to the time your initial warranty expires.

There is a good thread with information, search for extended warranty. I'd post the link but I'm one short of the minimum posts to put it here for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the extended warranty thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...rius-extended-warranty-service-contracts.html

I'm of the opinion that the extended warranty offered here for $1055 -- Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible -- is a good insurance buy as insurance products go.

But I'm also strongly of the opinion that you shouldn't decide whether to purchase it until you approach the time or miles when the Basic Warranty is running out. By waiting until you approach 3 years/36,000 miles, you'll be better informed as to (1) whether you think you'd benefit from an extended warranty and (2) which extended warranty to get in terms of maximum years or miles to best match your past and anticipated usage -- you can save hundreds more off that $1055 price if you choose a Platinum Plan with fewer years or miles (which the PriusChat vendor, WarrantyShack.com, also sells -- it sells all the extended warranty plans offered by Toyota).

1 person likes this.
  4. Tucwebb

Tucwebb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will be picking up my Prius III, SR in Barcelona Red next week in Phoenix, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SR works down here in Tucson, especially since my car sits in the sun all day while I'm at work here at our local air force base. (Was going to get a IV, but really didn't want to burn my legs on a hot leather seat like I have in the past - cloth works just fine for me here in southern Arizona).

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo - you or anyone else ping WarrantyShack to see if the cost of the 2010 Warranty is identical?

6. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I already did. 2010 is the same price as current model :) $1055. 7 year, 100k Miles

2 people like this.
  7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I haven't contacted Troy/WarrantyShack yet. But I checked the Toyota Financial Services website and it hasn't broken up the Prius between Gen II and Gen III. I'm assuming the cost will be identical for the extended warranty, but that the prepaid maintenance plan will cost more for the 2010 because of the requirement of synthetic oil (not that anyone in their right mind should be getting the prepaid maintenance plan anyway lol).

8. drlyons09

drlyons09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :focus::eek::rolleyes::mod: