1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extended warrenty are they safe

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lmrom7, Jun 20, 2009.

1. lmrom7

lmrom7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just bought my first prius. used 2004 with 70000 miles ,has it all except back up camera. beautiful condition all leather.went to toyota dealership to ask about extended warranty,they want $2,400 for the platinum package.I saw the car fax and the owner had no issues other than oil change and filter changes.I will only be putting 5,000 miles a year on this car due to my work schedule,can anyone help me out as far as should I purchase the warranty? I just asked for a quote from the warranty company posted on the chat forum.thanks for your time

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless of what the dealer told you, you cannot get a Toyota extended warranty. It must be purchased within the initial 3 yr / 36K warranty period. Also, don't buy from the "other" companies offering warranties (probably seen them on TV). They won't cover the expensive hybrid components. Those components are still covered by Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  3. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you want a warranty, I would recommend looking at aftermarket warranties:

1) The Toyota Platinum warranty isn't available after 36k miles. They may be selling you another warranty.
    2) $2400.00 is WAY too much money. For my car (a '97 with 10k miles), a 100k warranty was $980-$1400 depending on who you go with.

Some things you want to look for in a warranty are below. Please note, you probably won't be able to find all of these in one warranty:
    - No mandatory arbitration clause.
    - It should be exclusionary, listing the parts it DOES NOT cover, rather than the parts it covers.
    - Fasteners, hoses, and valves should not be one of the exclusions. This is done primarily to deny claims, claiming that your engine failed because of a faulty fastener, so they don't cover the engine.
    - A good BBB rating.
    - Insured by an insurance company with A or better ratings from AM Best.
    - They should not hold you liable for maintenance prior to your ownership. Some companies may inspect the car before selling you the warranty to waive prior maintenance requirements - that's OK.

I haven't found an aftermarket warranty that meets all of these criteria, but a few are close:
    - WarrantyDirect has a arbitration clause, but is otherwise pretty good
    - Old Reliable (sold by carchex.com) doesn't have an arbitration clause, but excludes fasteners.
    - Check your car insurance company. Some offer mechanical breakdown coverage, but I don't know how good it is.
    - I had a Premier dealer service contract that was good, (similar to old reliable, but cheaper) but it could only be sold by the dealer (not available on internet).

That said, don't expect to save money overall on a warranty. Odds are, the warranty will cost you more than you get in benefits (just like any insurance). The Prius is a very reliable car, so the odds that you will have a covered failure that costs more to fix than your warranty is probably something like 10-20%.

-->Adam

1 person likes this.
  4. lmrom7

lmrom7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you both for the reply so quickly. you are correct, I missunderstood about the warranty,I am sure it was from an after market company but the warranty guy at the dealership forgot to mention that. just another example of someone trying to take advantage of a female.I believe my battery is still covered under the 7 year 100,000 mi. warranty,I hope i am right about that. thanks again , what about buying a manuel for the navagation system? I am having problems with programing things.

5. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, and don't feel that you've missed out by not being able to get the Toyota platinum warranty.

It's not insured, C rated by the BBB, has an arbitration agreement, holds you responsible for the prior owners maintenance, and excludes fasteners. In short, it isn't the best warranty out there. Odds are the warranty the dealer is offering you is better.

-->Adam

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A