1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warrenty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marjam, Jun 30, 2006.

1. marjam

marjam Member

Has this been discussed to death? I have a MY '04, package 7, and 34,000 miles. I have never bought an extended warrenty on anything. I also hope to get the next generation Prius when it comes out. I know I can get the warrenty much cheaper here than from a Toyota dealer. (I was quoted over $2000!). Has anyone had such bad luck that they really needed the warrenty? All my Toyotas have been so trouble free.

marjam

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jun 30 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]279289[/snapback]</div>
    If all your Toyota's have been trouble free and you are buying a new car in a couple of years, Why would you buy a extended warrenty ?????? Live a little, take a chance, life is a gamble, break from the safe life !!!!

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just in the last few days members posted about failed MFD screens and malfunctioning HID leveling sensors. In addition, you may be able to command a higher price for your car if you sell it with an extended warranty.

It's a gamble either way. You can buy it and in the end not need it or not buy it and then wish you had.

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an '04 (purchased 3/29/04) that was at almost 36,000 last month. I decided to go ahead and get the extended warranty from Troy here (VERY easy transaction!) mainly because of the MANY computers in this car, the fact that my MFD has not yet failed, and '04 was the first model year of a total redesign. My sister's car (also purchased on 3/29/04 but on the other side of the country) had her MFD replaced at about 32,000 miles(?), and an active poster on the Yahoo groups had his replaced at 55,000 miles under his extended warranty.

In any case, I do have more of a feeling of security that I won't have a big bill to pay if something goes really wrong with it, and it does come with roadside assistance and up to 5 days in a motel (over the life of the warranty) if I get stranded out of town. I have the highest regard for Toyota's quality, but ANY manufacturer has more problems with the first year of a redesign. Many people who would never think of getting an extended warranty got it on this car, either for themselves or with an eye to selling it in a few years. The warranty is transferrable (once), and it could be a big selling point down the road, even though the hybrid system is already warranted for 100,000 miles (150,000 in states that follow CARB standards).

BTW I got a 6-year/100,000-mile warranty from Troy, and it was $875