1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extension Cord Winders

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bookrats, Apr 4, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I believe this qualifies for off-topic...

Just got an electric lawnmower (corded, not cordless) yesterday. We already have a 80' extension cord for use with our weed whacker, and I plan to use it with the new mower.

I am a boyscout drop-out, and constantly leave the extension cord with knots and snags in it. I'd planned on getting one of those cheap $5 plastic cord winders/cord turtles that you can wrap the cord around.

However, there are also the more expensive "wonder winders", cord spools or "reel-a-pails" that supposedly either automatically, or via a crank (I mean, other than myself :) ) allow you to retract the cord.

My feeling is that the simplist thing (and in this case, the cheapest) is usually best. However, the wide range of knowledge on this board has been demonstrated again and again, and I figure I should take advantage of it.

There must be some electric lawnmower users out there (or folks in a similar situation) who have experiences -- good or bad -- and advice on some of the more complicated devices. If so, please share them with me!

Much obliged in advance.

2. cybele

cybele New Member

Since no one has answered, I figured I'd pipe in.

We've had an electric mower and weed whacker since moving to our present house (it came with the house and we couldn't be happier with it).

We have that plain old winder and it's worked just fine for us for the past 6 years. My only tip is when you plug in the mower, tie the cord off somewhere between the outlet and where you're using the mower, to keep from accidentally unplugging yourself. We tie it around a fence post.

Congratulations on the new mower. We've found it works very well and makes mowing less of a chore, it's so light and quick and there's virtually no maintenance on it (and no gasoline stored around the house).

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for the reply, cybele -- I think I'll just get the cheap winder as you suggest.

I'm coming to this electric mower from the other direction -- I've used a push "reel" mower for, heck, almost 30 years. Love them -- light, good exercise, and quiet.

However, they have one fatal weakness: if the grass gets over 2" high, they're just useless. Apparently I've bred a strain of dandelions in our yard that can grow to that height in a day or two. They know if they can do that, they're invulnerable. And then they laugh at me. :wink:

This means borrowing a power mower from a neighbor every time I slack off on the mowing -- which is, ahem, often. I've gotten so ashamed of this bad habit that I've ended up renting one from Handy Andy's rental.

This year, I decided that I might as well face facts, and got the 19' Black & Decker Lawn Hog (what a name for an electric mower!) It's relatively quiet and light, very effective, and I like it a lot.

However, it's some heavier than the reel mower, and less maneuverable. I'll see how things go once I've gotten the tall grass of spring cut down to size, maybe I can alternate with the reel mower, and use the electric mower for the "off-weeks".

And I can now laugh at the dandelions, as they fall underneath the blade of my electric mower. In a maniacal, "Nicholson in The Shining" way. :guns: