1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extent of hybrid warranty coverage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nchurch, Oct 16, 2011.

1. nchurch

nchurch New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    am new prius owner....pushed by dealer to buy extended warranty because "regular warranty only covers batteries for 8 years". seems he misled me (being generous to him).

my question. am I right in assuming that all components of the hybrid drive, whatever they are, will be covered for 8 years or 100k miles here in SC?

thanks, Nic

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You should have received a Warranty and Maintenance Guide when you bought your car. Read this manual. Toyota is very specific about what components are covered under the different General, Emission and Hybrid components. Once you have read the manual there should be no doubt about what is covered and for how long.

There are many reports on here about taxis rolling over 200,000 miles on their orginal hybrid batteries and still going strong.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No. The transaxle is generally considered to be a powertrain item with 5/60 coverage, unless you live in a CARB state, where sometimes it is considered a 10/150 item.

So far in Gen II, the pattern of battery failure is beginning at 150,000+ miles AND 6+ years. I expect similar for Gen III (solar roof cars should fare a little better).

The people that sell extended warranty at dealerships are often the best salesmen. The general consensus here is that an extended warranty is not necessary. Since it is insurance, only you can answer whether or not it is worth the money to rule out the small risk (<5%) of a large repair bill.

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read owners manual to be sure, but i think the inverter, hv battery, a few other parts have 8 year 100k warranty in our non carb states. The two electric motors in the transaxel are only covered under the 5 year60k powertrain warranty.

6. FPGFHFMA

FPGFHFMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't know what dealer you bought yours from but I bought mine in SC Myrtle Beach and I declined the extended warranty and after seeing the offer through this forum I am sure glad I did. they make it seem reasonable by just wanting to add the amount to your payment.