1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exterior & Interior Detailing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Schmoozle, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Schmoozle

Schmoozle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 2005 Prius with a Black exterior and a Light Grey interior (including carpeted floor / cargo mats), so I'm new to the PriusChat family. I've been reviewing the forum threads here (as well as the contributions by contributor "PB" on the Toyota Nation Forum site) to see what other Prius owners say about how they take care of their cars' exteriors and interiors. I'm impressed, and it's great to see how thorough people are with caring for their car; many treat their Prius' exterior and interior like an expensive super car.

As they say, "to each his own," in terms of a person's preferences for which products they use on their Prius' exterior and interior, but I want to find out if there's any consensus about what products work best to tackle the different aspects of a car, which I've broken down into the following categories along with the products I've noticed that get recommended often:
    No-Water Wash: Optimum No-Rinse
    Bug/Tar/Tree Sap/Bird Dropping Remover
    : ???
    Wax
    : Meguiar's NXT or Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish
    Exterior Finish
    : Mothers Clay Bar
    Exterior Finish-Scratch Remover
    : Mother's Scratch Remover
    Exterior Plastic (Window Frames)
    : Mothers Back to Black Plastic Restorer or Meguiar's
    General Interior
    : Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner
    Vinyl/Plastic Interior
    : 303 Aerospace Protectant
    Cloth/Fabric Seats
    : Aerospace Fabric Guard (is it a stain remover too -- if not, what's a good seat cleaner / stain remover?)
    I've seen some products by Zaino (i.e., Z-5) and Griot's Garage (i.e., Speed Shine) mentioned on this site a bit; how do these two brands' products measure up to their competition?

Also, what are some good places (independents, major retail chain stores, online, etc.) to purchase these supplies inexpensively? Thanks in advance for your help and input.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For bug/tar removal, I suggest peanut butter (seriously). Obviously smooth so you don't risk scratch the paint with chunks of peanut. It's quite effective and it's an "everyday" household item. (unless you're allergic to peanut).