1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exterior rear-view mirror cover came off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mbartley, Oct 16, 2010.

1. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hit a fragment of debris (again) on the freeway. The only damage I've found so far this time is that the painted plastic cover over the passenger-side (USA) rear-view mirror came off. The mirror itself seems undamaged.

A Toyota dealer gave me a part number which would be an already-painted (blue ribbon metallic) replacement. 87915-47020-J0

This is a 2010 Prius III.

Is that possible? Can I just pop the new cover in place, or is the replacement more complicated than that? I need to take my car into the paint/body shop anyways for previous debris damage to the front bumper. I'm wondering if the mirror cover is an easy fix I can do myself.

Attached Files:

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are 8 claws holding it in place. Looks like it just snaps on. Let us know how it works.

3. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's easy. My wife, when opening the door on the driver's side of her car, has dinged the rear view mirror on the Prius twice. Each time the plastic popped off; it was a simple job to snap it back in, and, once in, it stays. Just line it up right, press, and it's in.

KBeck.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. It just snaps/pops on--takes maybe a minute. I wouldn't replace it unless it looks really horrible or the edges are broken so the tabs won't hold.

5. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the replacement part from the dealer last night and snapped it into place before I left the parking lot. No problem at all.

The paint job looks good, but I haven't really been able to verify the color match, since the rest of my car is a terrible mess from all the rain drizzle and mist we've had lately.

6. merylmm

merylmm New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I borrowed my little brother's 2008 prius and, of course, hit a garbage can with the driver side, side view mirror. The mirror itself is fine and didn't get any scratches, but the plastic connection piece between the mirror and base is broken. I am hoping to order a new unpainted mirror, replace the broken one, and put the painted back of the mirror from the existing damaged mirror onto the new one. Does anyone know if the cover of a 2008 prius mirror will be as easy to snap on and off as on the 2010 model?